Is Pergo outlast flooring worth buying? Pergo outlast is a superior and affordable laminate flooring which have a water-resistant layer on its top. This layer makes it a good option for all the spaces of your home. Pergo invented laminate flooring around 40 years ago.
This brand is now a part of the Mohawk Company and has become the industry leader. The installation of these flooring should be done by an expert DIYer; otherwise, it would be better to hire a professional.
In this article, we will discuss Pergo outlast reviews, installation guidelines, cost information, pros and cons, and maintenance tips.
Pergo Outlast Reviews
Pergo outlast plus is made of different layers: a crystal clear and durable top layer, an image layer that shows the look of a wood, an HDF core board (high-density fiberboard) and a base layer for steadiness, and an underlayment lastly.
The thickness of its planks is 10mm. They are 5.23”, 6.14”, or 7.48” wide and 47.24” or 54.33” long.
Pergo outlast plus have six laminate collections. Pergo outlast+ collection delivers the appearance of hardwood. They have more than 56 designs and features like domestic wood, for example, maple, oak, and hickory.
Besides these designs, there are also many exotic wood designs like jatoba and fruitwood.
They also offer various styles that make modern or traditional looks with different Pergo flooring colors. Besides these styles, there are more unique wood looks, such as varied grain patterns, gray tones, and cross sawn.
The best thing in the Pergo Outlast collection that keeps them unique is its Integrated SpillProtect WaterProof technology. This technology prevents the floor from being damaged by splashes, spills, and other pet messes.
Besides this water-resistant layer, they have tight joints due to the beveled edges and uniclic (a glueless locking technology) installation system. These factors ensure that humidity and spillage cannot damage the base layer and core.
Although the SpillProtect WaterProof Technology protects the laminate from moisture and spills, the chances of its discoloration are very high if the water sits on its surface for a long time.
Pergo Outlast Installation
Pergo laminate flooring installation is easy if you have gathered all the right tools and materials. It is installed in the following steps:
- Measure the room’s length and width and install the initial row of the plank. Inspect how many planks come in a row.
- Begin from the corner of the room. Mark a straight line in the middle of the area. Leave a 3/8 inches free space around the walls; this gap will be filled by silicone caulking later.
- Complete the installation of the first row in a way that all the tongue sides come towards the wall. Insert the tongue end of the planks in the groove end of the next plank and continue placing them in the whole row. Make sure you have tightened all the joints properly.
- Generally, to start the next row, you will take the piece you trimmed from the previous one.
- In all the upcoming rows, install all the planks by locking them with each other.
- Hold the planks with your hands and hit them with a mallet to fix them properly. However, never use the mallet directly on the planks.
- Now, lock the long joints of the planks downwards and complete the installation by repeating these steps.
Installation Tips for Pergo Outlast
If the shape of your room is not square, a few things will be required to do. First, cut the trims on all the doorways. A space for expansion will also be required on all sides of the room.
If there are any transitions or fireplaces in your room, you will need a suitable gap for these things. If there are no proper gaps of 1-1/8 to 1-3/8 inches, you will rip your planks to make room for 4-in-1 trim molding.
These Pergo 4-in-1 kits are available in matching colors and can control the transitions between tile, laminate, carpet, and more. It makes the installation very easy.
Remember to apply silicone on all the sides of the room because it will prevent your space from spills and moisture.
Pergo Outlast Price Details
The Home Depot sale Pergo outlast in the range of $2.65 – $2.79 per square foot. Anyone interested in looking at its samples can order them for $5 per sample.
Although laminate flooring is a cost-effective option, the Pergo outlast price is slightly higher for laminate.
The Pergo flooring costs between $3.99 – $5.99 per square foot and are available for sale from local retailers. You can compare the prices of this flooring with other leading brands:
Price Update: Prices below are the averages from different distributors. For the latest price please visit the nearest sales point. The price is updated on April 28th, 2023.
|Pergo Outlast Plus||$2.75 – $3.20|
|Mannington Restoration Laminate||$4.89 -$5.00|
|TafficMaster Laminate Flooring||$1.00 – $1.99|
|Shaw Repel||$2.39 – $2.79|
|Pergo Portfolio Laminate||$1.99 – $2.79|
|AquaGuard Laminate Flooring||$2.49 – $3.99|
|LifeProof Laminate Floors||$3.29 – $3.49|
|RevWood Plus||$2.50 – $3.50|
|Home Decorators Collection||$1.49 – $2.59|
|Newton Laminate Floors||$2.00 – $7.00|
|Pergo XP Laminate Floor||$2.09 – $3.09|
|NatureTec Plus||$2.50 – $5.00|
|Evoke Laminate Flooring||$2.09 – $3.49|
Advantages and Disadvantages of Pergo Outlast
Talking of Pergo outlast reviews, here are some of the positive and negative aspects of this flooring:
- Pergo outlast have different collections of colors and styles for all choices.
- An experienced DIYer can install it.
- It can be laid down on any subfloor.
- In this flooring, radiant heating can be installed.
- In all the house areas, such as the kitchen, bathroom, basement, living room, and anywhere you can install it.
- Reasonably cost-effective and sells under $3 per square foot.
- Maintenance and cleaning are easy.
- Its SpillProtect technology makes it a perfect option for spaces with high chances of spills and splashes because it protects the floor from moisture.
- There is a built-in underlayment with these floors; you will not need to buy extra underlayment.
- Its refinishing is not possible. If it’s scratched a lot, you will need to replace it.
- Laminate is not as durable as wood.
Maintenance of Pergo Outlast
Reviews of Pergo outlast will be incomplete without discussing its maintenance and cleaning perspectives.
- You can use a vacuum made for hard surfaces or a broom or dust mop to sweep the area. After sweeping, use a damp mop to clean the surface effectively.
- Pergo recommends a formula for general cleaning of these floors every week. Mix one cup of vinegar into one gallon of water. You can use ammonia instead of vinegar.
- Pergo has SpillProtect technology, and the spills and splashes don’t damage it, but it does not mean you apply a fully wet mop onto this floor. Always use a mop after wringing it completely.
For Stains and Spills
- Most stains like wine, juice, grease, and chocolate can be removed with the vinegar and water formula.
- The stains like cigarette burns, ink, lipsticks, crayons, markers, tar, and nail polish can be removed with nail polish remover or denatured alcohol.
- With a blunt plastic scraper, chewing gum and candle wax can be scraped off the floor.
- The cleaners like detergents, jet mops, abrasive cleaners, steam, soaps, or wax should not be used on Pergo Outlast floors.
- Protect them from scratches because once they are scratched or broken, they cannot be repaired again.
- If you have pets, this flooring is not recommended because pets scratch the floor a lot.
- Use rubber mats under the legs of furniture or other heavy items. Don’t drag the furniture if you want to move them; try to lift them.
- Protect the floor’s surface with rugs because if something heavy falls, it will easily break because it is not as durable as a hardwood floor.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Are Pergo Outlast Floors Water-Resistant?
Pergo outlast is 100% waterproof because Uniclic Joint and SpillProtect technologies make it the perfect choice for humid places. These features do not allow the water to seep into the joints.
How Much Time Will Pergo Outlast Last?
If properly maintained, it can last for 15 – 20 years.
Is Pergo Outlast Prone to Scratches?
The reviews of Pergo’s outlast flooring shows that it is slightly not resistant to scratches and dents.
Is Installation of Pergo Outlast Flooring Difficult?
Pergo flooring installation is very easy, and you will need only a few tools for it. You can even install it over an existing floor.
Is Pergo Outlast Best for Bathrooms?
As this flooring has a technology that protects it from moisture damage, it can be easily installed in laundry rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. However, there are some special rules to protect the areas which have drains.
Does Pergo Flooring Need Underlayment?
Pergo flooring has an attached underlayment. If you have to install it over a concrete subfloor, you will need a moisture barrier. For wooden subfloor, you don’t need to buy any additional underlayment.
Are Pergo Outlast and Pergo Extreme the Same?
Both these flooring are water resistant, and their performance is very good in humid areas. But Pergo outlast flooring are more resistant to mold growth than Pergo extreme flooring.
Is Pergo Laminate Better Compared to Other Laminates?
Pergo laminate options are sturdier compared to other laminates. They are slightly prone to scratches, more water-resistant, and more long-lasting than the others.
In this article, we have studied Pergo Outlast reviews. The Pergo laminate floors are more durable and water-resistant compared to other laminate floors. Its installation is not difficult and can only be installed using a few tools.
Its maintenance is also very easy and needs simple sweeping and mopping once a week. Excess water should be avoided during its cleaning because it can discolor the surface.
They are available in various colors and styles; you can choose any design according to your choice.