Are you about to install Porcelain tiles but do not know how to cut porcelain tile?
These tiles can be installed as DIY work, for which you must know how to cut them. The method is simple and can be covered in a few easy-to-follow steps.
You can install them in bathrooms, Kitchens, Living rooms, etc., as you desire because they are durable and can easily handle foot traffic.
Here we will also talk about why these tiles should be your priority and what safety measures you can adopt so that they last for a long.
Importance of Using Porcelain Tiles
In today’s age, when it comes to flooring, we get numerous options, so sometimes it becomes hard to choose 1 option among so many. Each tile or flooring has different advantages that make them unique.
Similarly, Porcelain tiles also come with different benefits that depict why you should use them in your next project. Here I have made a list of the advantages that you will get if you are using these tiles. Let’s have a look at them.
1. They are Durable
The best thing I found in these tiles is their durability, so you can go with them anywhere you want without worrying about extreme weather conditions or heavy foot traffic.
Whether you want to install them in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry, or living rooms, go ahead because they can also bear the heat, and even water splashes don’t harm them.
The high and strong texture of these tiles is another plus point. Now forget about any wear and tear and enjoy them for maximum years without the need for maintenance.
2. Easy Cleaning
Not every flooring is easy to clean, so if you are getting this feature here, what can be better than this? Cleaning the proclaim tiles is a simple task to do, and you do not have to invest a lot of time and effort in this work.
If you see any mess on these tiles, use clean water and apply a damp mop, and you are all done. Once a month, you can go for deep cleaning so that these tiles keep shining and stay in their original shape and color.
However, if you are planning to use abrasives on these tiles, first ensure whether they are good or not. Other than that, you can choose any cleaning method you want.
3. They are Versatile
They are versatile, so you can surely get your required tiles in terms of style, pattern, and color. Moreover, the tiles can also perfectly match the interior of the room where you will install them. Versatility is the top feature that most people fall for.
Tools and Materials Required
Now you are familiar with all the features this tile provides you and you got an idea why it should be your priority, why not move ahead and talk about the best way to cut tiles so that you can install them at home without spending extra money?
Before moving towards the cutting method, let’s have a look at all those items that are needed for this purpose.
- Wet Tile Saw
- Tile Nipper
- Drill Bit
- Angle Grinder
- Wet Wheel
- Tile Cutter
Having all these tools is not important because each is used for different methods. You can go for the one that is used for the method that you will follow in cutting the tiles.
Best Way to Cut Porcelain Tiles
Here are our top 6 methods that guarantee to cut the tiles in the perfect manner. You can follow any method that is convenient for you. Here we go with the first one.
1. Use Tile Nipper
Tile Nipper is one of the best tools that will help you to cut the circular part of the tiles that is difficult to cut with other mentioned tools. To make regular cuts, these nippers are ideal.
If you have ever visited any construction site, you might have noticed these nippers in huge quantity because of the ease they provide you with while working.
Let’s talk about how to use these nippers in a few simple steps to get a better idea.
- Get your hands on porcelain tile and get it ready for cutting. Now take any pen or marker and mark a line where you want to make a cut. It will be easy for you to cut the tile in the right shape.
- Now take this nipper, and while putting a little pressure, start breaking the tile into small pieces. Make sure you have put the nipper in the right place.
- Sometimes the nipper fails to cut some pieces, so do not be in a rush and slowly proceed to the next cut. You can also use a cutter if any piece is hard enough that it can’t be cut with a nipper.
- Do not poorly use nipper otherwise; it will stop working.
- Once you are done with the nipping, get your hands on rub brick so that you can make all the corners and edges of tiles smooth and even. While doing this step, be careful because the sharp corners might harm you.
Porcelain tiles are hard, so it is better to use the right kind of nipper that is hard and can easily handle tough cuts.
2. Use Angle Grinder
For circular cuts, nippers would be the best option, but if you want to make cuts in different shapes and sizes, an angle grinder would be the best option. It is indeed the best tool to cut tiles.
The type of cuts that you can make with this tool is L cuts, square, circle, and straight ones. Are you wondering how to use this grinder to make cuts? Let’s have a look at these steps.
- Firstly take a marker and make a shape in which you want to cut your tile. The shape should be made on both sides of the tile.
- Now take the angle grinder and start cutting gently. Ensure you are cutting in the right shape by putting the right pressure.
- Make small cuts and keep moving further in order to avoid any trouble.
- Once you have cut the tile in the required shape, you need to make the corners smooth. For this purpose, use an abrasive wheel.
The angle grinder is efficient in work, so it guarantees to make the right cuts. You only need to know how to use this tool accurately. Cut porcelain tile with angle grinder and you will love it.
3. Use Tile Cutter
A tile cutter is one of the best ways to cut your porcelain tiles because they not only cut them in the required shape and size but also cut every hard tile as well in perfect shape and smooth edges.
It is the fastest cutter, that’s why commonly used wherever woodwork is needed. It is the same as cutting paper with a scissor or cutter. Let’s have a look at the method of cutting tiles with a tile cutter.
- There is a guide for this cutter that you have to lock first in order to start cutting.
- Mark the shape in which you want your tiles to be cut down. Once done, now put the cutter on that edge and start cutting slowly. It is a sharp cutter, so do not apply a lot of pressure.
- Keep on going forward, and when you cut down the end point, press down.
- The edges will be sharp, so better use a smooth finish to make them even. However, be careful so that no sharp edge hits you.
4. Use a Wet Saw
To cut porcelain tile in the most efficient manner, a wet saw is another amazing tool that is equally beneficial. For porcelain and ceramic tiles this tool will be the best choice as it’s composed of both materials.
The blade used in this tool must be adjustable so that you get smooth cuts. Let’s have a look at the right method of using this saw.
- The blade of a wet saw must be sharp so that you won’t face any hurdles in making the right cuts. Do not panic, and slowly cut down the tile.
- Before cutting, it is important to use a wax pencil to make proper cuts on the tile.
- Now put the blade on the exact location and keep moving further. Ensure you are cutting in the right direction.
- The cut must be 1/8 inch deep, so make sure you have adjusted the saw in the correct position.
- Once you are done, you can use a cutter to clear the edges that become uneven.
It is how you can get smooth and even edges and all the tiles will be cut down without a lot of effort.
5. Use a Wet Wheel
Here is another way of cutting these tiles i.e, wet wheel. The wet wheel is also known as a diamond wheel because it is used to cut hard and sturdy material that is impossible to cut down with other tools.
The method is similar to a wet saw as both are highly used ways for cutting purposes. Put this diamond wheel on the edge where you have marked a shape, and then smoothly keep moving forward until you have cut the entire tile.
6. Use a Drill Bit
This tool to cut porcelain tile is another great way if you want perfect shape cuts. They come in numerous shapes and sizes so now do not worry about perfect and neat cuts when you have this tool.
Simply mark the exact shape on the tile and put your drill bit on the edge in order to start cutting the tile. Make sure you have accurately fixed the tile so that no cut goes wrong.
Safety Tips for Porcelain Cutting
There are some tips that you should follow in order to avoid any unpleasant accidents. They include:
- Make sure you wear goggles so that no tile pieces enter your eyes while working.
- You must wear appropriate clothes and the correct shoes.
- Your safety should be your priority, so never compromise on the eye, ear, and hand protection items.
- Keep full concentration on this work because the blade might harm you.
- Your figures should be in the right direction and keep them far away from the blades.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Are you still confused about porcelain tile cutting tools? Let’s talk about some questions that might be in your mind so that your doubts can be cleared.
What is the Best Way to Cut Porcelain Tiles?
There are different ways to cut these tiles, among which the top 6 tools have been mentioned above. You can use any tool as per the work demand and requirement.
Do You Need a Special Cutter for Porcelain Tiles?
You can use a diamond blade cutter if your porcelain tile is hard and is unable to cut with the above tools. Otherwise, the above tools are enough to cut the tiles in an efficient way.
Can I Cut Porcelain Tile with a Tile Cutter?
Yes, you can cut with a tile cutter; however, ensure it has sharp blades so that it is not difficult for you to cut them.
Are Porcelain Tiles Hard to Cut?
Yes, they are durable tiles, so you definitely need a strong tool. Sometimes, you also need an expert that can do this work in the most professional way.
Porcelain tiles are commonly used in different houses because of their versatility. They can be installed anywhere in the house without thinking twice that is the main reason for their popularity.
When it comes to cutting these tiles, you can perform this work at home if you have the right tool. I have mentioned some best tools that are commonly used for this work.
If you want to save some money and have planned to perform this DIY work, take notes from this guide and follow the instructions for a perfect and smooth cut. I hope this article will be helpful for you in the future.