You love your cat but surely hate its pee and odor. These accidents do happen and are difficult to handle but are not impossible. You can get the cat pee smell out of clothes and remove it from any surface just by following specific steps.
Always remember that pretreatment is necessary before putting these clothes into the washing cycle.
You should know why your cat is peeing outside the litter box or some health issues with cats that stop them from peeing in the right way.
Let’s accept this challenge and sleeve up to do this cleaning job professionally!
How to Clean Cat Pee and Remove Odor from Clothes?
- You have to start the procedure to get cat pee smell out of clothes with pretreatment. If you find cat pee on the laminate or carpet surface, you have to do a pretreat before moving to the actual cleaning process.
- If the pee stain is fresh, you should pick it up with a paper towel or any other cloth, but if it gets older, you have to remove all particles of this stain before going to the laundry room.
- The cleaning process of these messy clothes can be done with any washing detergent. You can add vinegar or enzymatic solution to the washing machine to kill the odor of clothes too.
- Avoid using any heating product like a steam cleaner. Even you should use cold water to remove such types of stains.
Table of Contents
The Best Way to Remove Cat Pee from Clothes- 3 Easy Steps
If the cat pee is fresh or gets older and covers a large area, you have to promptly get cat pee out of the clothes, carpet, or any other surface.
If you notice cat pee on clothes, never disappoint or discourage it. Try the following steps to remove the cat pee from clothes efficiently:
Step 1. Blot the Cat Pee
Of course, you can stop cats from peeing on the carpet or any other expensive surface in your living area. You can feel pee and urine smells all over the home then; you have to investigate the spots of these messes.
If you reach to stain and it is still wet, you can quickly blot it before getting it into your fabric. Never try to scrub it; otherwise, the cat urine smell is driven into the cloth.
Press the paper towel on this spot and soak it up in the clothes to completely eliminate it from the fabric. If the stain is dried up, you have to pick it from the surface before going to the actual cleaning process.
Step 2. Pre-treat the Cat Pee
Now, to tackle the cat pee stains, you have to do a pre-treatment session. You have the option to do this exercise at home or do a store-bought treatment from cleaning solution providers.
You can kill the cat pee stains with uric acid, which is neutralized way to treat them. Many commercial cleaners use it in their products, and you can read this ingredient on expensive urine stain removal as well.
This choice is up to you, your budget, and which way you opt to go.
Step 3. Launder
Finally, you have to wash the cat pee clothes in cold water with cat urine laundry detergent. The cat urine and pee stains can also be treated with regular detergent, but they should contain enzyme ingredients to eliminate such stains and odor effectively.
After a detailed laundry wash to these fabrics, now allow these clothes to air dry. Never try to heat these clothes with a dryer or steam cleaner. Air drying in any outdoor space is enough to eliminate these stains and scents permanently from fabrics.
Getting Rid of Cat Pee Smell
The occasional accidents of pets can be eliminated instantly, but pee’s odor is tough to remove, even from washable clothes.
If the fabric still contains urine or pee smell after one or two washes, you have to follow the given instructions to remove the cat pee smell permanently.
Before going to your laundry room directly, you have some pretreating steps necessary in this particular case.
- Mark the pee or smelly spots and rinse out with clean water. Now dry this area with a paper towel. It will remove any part of the stain still left in the fabric.
- Now fill a bucket with water and add half-cup of Oxiclean or any other oxygen bleach. The classic chlorine bleach may damage the fabric, so it is not recommended here. Now soak the pee-stained spots in this water for some hours.
Now move on to the actual cleaning process! To remove the cat pee smell from clothes, you have to wash this fabric with a vinegar-based solution. Let’s quickly review its actual cleaning steps:
- Mix a single cup of vinegar with the same quantity of water. Further, paste this solution on pee-stained spots and give this solution some time to treat the dirty scent.
- You can also cover these stains with a vinegar solution for commercial cat urine odor removal. This will also effectively kill the urine smell.
- To remove the cat’s urine smell, add fresh and cold water to the washing machine and clothes. Give a detailed washing cycle to eliminate urine odor from clothes.
- Air-dry is compulsory here to remove the odor from clothes.
After successfully removing the dirty scents from clothes, passing through these clothes from a traditional washing session is a great thing. Never use laundry odor remover in this process; instead, this laundering session is not compulsory.
- You can spin the clothes with classic washing detergent. It will remove all types of scents from fabrics.
- Again, enzyme-based detergent is the best option to wash these clothes with cold water. If you feel any sensation of vinegar in these clothes, the enzyme ingredient will eliminate it as well.
- Air dry these clothes once again; you will never feel any cat pee odor from these fabrics.
Why Your Cat Isn’t Using a Litter Box?
There are many reasons why the cat pees outside of the litter box. The primary cause of this problem is that the box may not be adequately cleaned, and your cat doesn’t want to sit on it.
Your cat is peeing on the floor due to illness or might get urinary tract infections. So, you have to investigate its health issues as well.
You can be displeased with their litter box due to specific changes in their territory. Sometimes the cats try to pee where another cat pees.
So, if you have multiple cats in your home, you have to arrange multiple litter boxes and train them to pee in their litter boxes.
Some Useful Tips
After getting pro in this arena, remember the following valuable tips when you clean cat pee and remove odor from clothes:
- Never rub the fabric when cleaning cat pee; otherwise, the odor will permanently be set up in the cloth.
- Try to remove cat pee or urine instantly; the longer this mess sits, the harder it is to eliminate.
- Pretreatment is necessary in that particular case before putting your clothes in the washing machine with cat pee.
- You can use an enzymatic urine cleaner or simply vinegar solution with washing detergent in the machine; these ingredients give extra cleaning power to this process.
- Don’t use an ammonia-based cleaning solution in this case.
- If you still feel an odor, you can repeat pretreating or washing steps.
- Never use hot water to clean cat pee; never use any steam cleaner on such spots.
- Always check if the cat is not peeing in a litter box.
- If your cat’s behavior changes, then check it with your veterinarian.
You have to follow multiple steps in order to get the cat pee smell out of clothes. Never miss the pretreatment stage to break down the pee and its odor. After pretreating the fabric, run it in a wash cycle.
If you are not satisfied with the cleaning results, you can repeat the washing process as many times as you desire.
Finally, try to figure out why your cat is not using a litter box. No matter why your cat is peeing on clothes, try to investigate their behavior or check your cat’s health issues.
Once you have identified the answers to these queries, you have done half of your job here!