Are you trying to dry out the water under vinyl plank flooring? The floor or furniture damage due to water is a common issue and can be really frustrating.
If you reside in an area that has a high level of humidity or where there is heavy rainfall, you can usually suffer from this issue.
Whether you have installed vinyl flooring or laminate, this issue is common and can happen to anyone.
If you are also dealing with it and looking for ways to save your precious flooring from any permanent damage, this article is for you.
In this guide, I will explain to you how you can come out of this issue. To get useful information, keep reading this informative guide.
How to Dry Water Under Vinyl Plank Flooring?
- If you live in a high humidity area, keep checking the humidity level and whether the planks are damaged or not.
- If you found any issue, suspect the cause so that it never happens again.
- You can use a shop vacuum that is specially designed to be used to clear both wet and dry messes from the floor.
- Usually, when water stays longer, mold starts to appear so use a DIY-mold repair kit to deal with it.
Table of Contents
- Tools and Materials
- Method to Deal with Water Under Vinyl Plank Flooring
- Can Water Damage Your Vinyl Plank?
- What Water Damage on Vinyl Plank Look Like?
- How to Fix Bubble in Vinyl Plank Flooring?
- How to Repair Water Damage Under Vinyl Floors?
- How to Get Rid of Water Stains on Vinyl Flooring?
- Can You Waterproof Vinyl Plank Floors?
- How to Get Moisture Out of Vinyl Flooring?
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Tools and Materials
It is important to get your hands on all the right tools and materials so that you can complete your task appropriately. The tools needed for this purpose are:
Once you have all these essentials in your hand, you can go for the actual work.
Method to Deal with Water Under Vinyl Plank Flooring
Water under vinyl plank flooring is a common problem that people often deal with especially if vinyl flooring is installed in the basement or you live in an area with maximum humidity.
As every problem comes with a solution so you can easily get rid of it by following the below-mentioned points.
Step 1. Inspect the Issue
The first thing is to determine what is the issue or how much damage water has provided to the floors.
Moreover, check mold on vinyl flooring that usually occurs when water stays for a long time. Usually, water provides major harm to subfloors so do not forget to look after them.
Step 2. Use Shop-Vac
A shop-vac cleaner is used to pick up dry and wet messes from the floor so it is the best tool you can use to dry out the vinyl flooring.
It is available in different sizes so you can buy according to the requirement or floor size. From 1 to 2.5 gallons, it is available in numerous sizes however, ensure not to exceed 2.5 gallons.
Step 3. Digital Moisture Meter
After using the vacuum, do not forget to use a moisture meter in order to know the moisture level. You might be thinking that which moisture meter you should use in order to know the level. I would recommend you to use the General tool digital meter because it comprises 4 settings.
On the other hand, if you are dealing with only this issue, you can also use a heater or turn on the fans in the room so that you can cover the moisture problem.
If you leave the room with a heater and fans for some days, you will surely notice a decrease in the moisture level. however, make sure the heater is not too hot.
Step 4. Use a Dehumidifier
You need this tool especially if the vinyl flooring is installed in the basement. You can look for any dehumidifier that better suits you. They are available in different shapes and sizes.
The best thing about this tool is it contains an auto-off feature so in case you forget to turn it off, it will off automatically. Moreover, it doesn’t make noise while operating.
Step 5. Use DIY-mold Test Kit
Mold on vinyl flooring is natural if the water stays under the floor or subfloor for a long time. Hence, after checking the damage caused due to water, ensure the mold that will surely occur in such a case.
Moreover, people who own vinyl floors often complain about this mold feature. It is one of the most common vinyl plank flooring issues.
You can ask a professional for this work or can do it yourself with a DIY-mold Test kit available in different stores.
It comes with a detailed guide for your better understanding. Hence, follow the instructions to know how to gather the samples on your floor.
You will get instant results once you send the samples to the laboratory. However, you might need to spend additional for this purpose. A few kinds of molds can’t be prepared for which you need to replace the planks.
Step 6. Use Plastic Sheet and Floor Scraper
If the vinyl floors are installed with the glue-down method then use a floor scraper in order to remove the peeling. You can also cover the floor with a plastic sheet.
Can Water Damage Your Vinyl Plank?
If you have installed vinyl flooring, you know that one of the major benefits of this flooring is its water-resistant feature.
Unfortunately, many people are not aware of the term ‘Water-resistant.’ Yes, it protects the floor from water but if the water stays on the floor for too long then it will surely cause damage.
Water under lvp seeping up through seems will cause more issues if immediate action will not be taken.
So, to avoid this water issue, it is compulsory to clean your vinyl floors regularly. If you are a pet owner then you better clean the spills as soon as you see them before it is too late.
With a little care, you can protect your beautiful vinyl floors from any accident. Moreover, if the moisture level is too high in your area or there are a lot of waterfalls, follow the above-mentioned points and you will no longer complain about this issue.
What Water Damage on Vinyl Plank Look Like?
If you witness the moisture issue in your vinyl planks then examine the below-mentioned problems in the flip boards. These issues can be from slight to obvious. The issues include:
- Keep a special eye on each plank whether they are adhesive or started moving? If any of the planks start moving that were previously adhesive it means there is some issue.
- Due to moisture issues, the seam of the planks starts opening up so be concerned about that problem.
- Vinyl floors are water-resistant so there should be no fading or discoloration issue but if you find this issue tends to appear, your planks are not in the right condition.
- Last but not the least, look for bubbles, and bumps that might appear on your floor. Instead of checking from the eyes, examine them from your fingertips.
How to Fix Bubble in Vinyl Plank Flooring?
You can fix bubbles in vinyl plank flooring with different methods. A vinyl floor repair kit is easily available in the market that you can buy in order to get rid of this issue. You can find this kit in different hardware stores.
Other than that, you can glue down the vinyl floor by using adhesive. Once the glue is dried, do not forget to put a heavy object on the floor so that it becomes smooth and completely adhesive.
How to Repair Water Damage Under Vinyl Floors?
If you have noticed that your beautiful vinyl floors have been damaged due to moisture then the first step you should take is to identify the actual cause of the problem so that it never happens again.
After identifying, what you have to do is:
- Replace or remove the damaged planks as soon as possible. You can ask a professional for this task because he can better perform it. However, you can also do it yourself if you are convenient with it.
- Instead of replacing the entire plank, you can also apply patches on the damaged part. This point will be tricky so better call a professional for this task.
- If only a little portion of a plank is damaged, you can clean it and use a shop vacuum to make it dry. However, if the portion is high enough, you can not simply clean and things will be okay.
How to Get Rid of Water Stains on Vinyl Flooring?
If you found water stains on your vinyl flooring, follow the below-mentioned methods for effective results.
- Gather all the essential materials or tools needed for this purpose including Warm water, vinegar, bucket, tape, plastic sheet, sponge or soft cloth, etc. Once you have all the required tools, start making the solution.
- Take a bucket and add warm water along with vinegar or dish soap. Once the solution is made, take a sponge or a soft cloth and dip it into the solution.
- After some time when the cloth or sponge is fully dipped into the solution, take it out from the bucket and cover the stained area of the vinyl floor with that piece of cloth.
- Now get your hands on a plastic sheet and fully cover the cloth with that sheet. Apply tape on each end to seal it.
- Wait for the next 24 hours. After that, remove the sheet and cloth and clean the floor with mineral spirits.
It is how you can get rid of water stains from your precious vinyl floors.
Can You Waterproof Vinyl Plank Floors?
Vinyl flooring is the most widespread choice for different homeowners due to all the wood flooring features it provides at a cost-effective rate.
This type of flooring is durable and can be installed in commercial and residential locations but can you waterproof vinyl plank flooring?
Well, the answer to this query depends on different factors, including the installation method, composition, vinyl plank features, and warranties.
Vinyl floors give you huge protection against moisture, and they are said to be 100% water-resistant as well.
While shopping for vinyl planks, you will come across ‘waterproof Vinyl plank flooring’ and ‘water-resistant vinyl plank flooring.’
If you go for water-resistant flooring, it will give protection against water for a certain time. Once the time is over, the floor will start to collapse.
On the other hand, if you go for waterproof vinyl flooring, the surface won’t be damaged even if the water stays there for a maximum time.
You can also install waterproof vinyl planks in washrooms and basements without concern.
You do not need to waterproof the luxury vinyl planks because they are already available on the market, and you can easily buy them according to the requirement.
How to Get Moisture Out of Vinyl Flooring?
Whether you have installed the vinyl planks with a glue-down method or you have followed the floating floor strategy, moisture in the planks will induce harm, and it needs to be eliminated as soon as possible.
The moisture tends to cause bubbles in the planks, and it becomes unusable. So what should be done?
Remove the planks in order to know the level of moisture and to get rid of it. Get your hands on a shop vacuum and let the surface dry.
Once you are done vacuuming, turn on the fans and dehumidifier so that moisture is completely dried. Do not forget to check the water damage caused by the moisture because you can not use the damaged planks.
You can also buy a moisture meter that will indicate whether the planks have become moisture-free or not.
Other than that, you can also turn on the heater to eliminate this issue. If these planks were installed in the basements, then Dehumidifier is the best solution.
Unfortunately, molds also appear on moisture surfaces, so do not forget to look for that. A mold kit on the market will make this process easy for you.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s have a look at a few frequently asked questions regarding mold on vinyl flooring and water damage under vinyl floor.
What Happens if Water Gets Under Your Vinyl Plank Flooring?
If it stays for a long time, mold starts to appear. You can easily figure out the issue when buckling and bubbles start to appear or the vinyl floor tends to fade or discolor.
It usually happens when the subfloor remains wet for longer.
What Do You Do if You Get Water Under Vinyl Flooring?
First, you have to examine the root cause so that this issue never happens again. Later, use a shop vacuum so that all the wet messes can be removed from the floor.
A dehumidifier and Digital moisture meter would be great in this regard.
Will Water Evaporate Under Vinyl Flooring?
No, the water doesn’t evaporate but stands still under the vinyl floor.
How Do You Dry Water Under a Floating Floor?
The best way is to remove the planks and let them thoroughly dry. Turn on the heater and fans so that they quickly dry and are ready to be installed again.
Also, keep checking the moisture level if you live in an area where there are a lot of moisture issues.
Can Mold Grow Under Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Yes, it is common that when water stays for long, mold starts appearing irrespective of flooring type.
Usually, they grow on carpets and woods but can also appear on vinyl planks. Oxygen, moisture, warmth, and food are the 4 main elements that help mold to grow fast.
I hope now you got the answer to ‘how to dry water under vinyl plank flooring.’ water under vinyl planks can be due to different reasons already mentioned in the guide.
You should be aware of the solution to each reason so that you can fight it as soon as possible. I have mentioned the best and easiest ways to remove them.
Before applying any method, don’t forget to analyze the actual cause of the problem so that it never happens again. I hope this guide will accommodate you in the future in a better way.