Are you tired of seeing an ugly toilet tank and want to clean them as soon as possible?
House cleaning is always a hectic task, especially in this busy life, and what irritates people the most is toilet cleaning which needs a regular check.
You should show your love for toilet bowls at least once a week so that they remain tidy. However, if it has become dirty and there is no way out to get them clean so what should be done?
Don’t worry if you are facing a similar issue because this guide will help you make your toilet tanks spotless.
Tools and Materials
To perform this DIY work, make sure you have all the essentials needed for this work. The list of tools and materials helpful for the inside of toilet tank cleaning includes:
- White vinegar
- Dawn Dish Soap
- Bristle Brush
- Baking Soda
These are the main items that you should have to perform this work accurately.
Toilet Tank Cleaning Method
Before jumping into the process ensure that you have emptied the tank because without draining water no ingredient will work out.
Make sure that the water valve is shut down because there will be not a single drop of water in the toilet. Once the tank is fully empty, you can grab all the tools and materials to start the work.
Method 1. Use Vinegar for Cleaning
Pouring vinegar in the toilet tank is really helpful as it helps to remove stains and rust. Now you might be wondering how much vinegar is enough to clean the toilet tank.
Put as much water as you can because it is the easiest and safest way to clean your bathrooms from rust and spots. Follow the below-mentioned points to pour vinegar into the toilet tank.
- Do not add vinegar if the toilet tank is full of water. First, empty the tank and then follow the steps.
- 3 to 7 gallons of vinegar would be enough for quick and effective results.
- You have to fill the entire tank with white vinegar to the overflow tube.
- Make sure each dust, rust, and stain has been covered with vinegar so that it works on every stain.
- Now, wait for at least 12 or 13 hours. It is better to let the vinegar sit overnight.
- After 13 hours, flush the vinegar.
- Grab a scrubbing brush and start scrubbing the leftover dust particles.
- For better results, pour some baking soda and again start scrubbing.
- You can turn on the water valve once the scrubbing is done.
- Flush the toilet one or two times to clean it.
Method 2. Vinegar and Baking Soda Scrub
Vinegar is undoubtedly the best ingredient for this purpose but baking soda in the toilet also does wonders. If you can not let the vinegar sit in the toilet bowl for 13 hours then you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Ensure that the toilet tank is empty and the valve is shut down.
- Grab 1 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons of Dawn, and 1/2 cup Baking soda. It is the best mixture to make.
- After applying this mixture into the toilet tank, grab a toilet brush and start swishing.
- Make sure you have scrubbed each corner from bottom to top.
- Now, wait for at least 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, scrub the entire tank once again so that no dust is left untreated.
- Turn on the water valve and you will notice a fresh scent.
It is how you can remove all the ugliness from your toilet tanks so that you do not feel embarrassed if any unexpected guest comes over.
Method 3. Use Vinegar and Borax
If you don’t have Baking soda at home, you can also add Borax in vinegar to make a perfect solution. The method to follow for this process include:
- Take 4 cups of vinegar and add 1 cup of borax into it.
- You do not need to fully empty the tank in this process. Leave a few drops there.
- Now pour the Borax and vinegar mixture into the tank.
- With a toilet brush, scrub the tank from top to bottom to clean any type of stains.
- Let the mixture sit there for at least 1 or 2 hours.
- Now after 2 hours once again scrub the tank so that no residue is left.
- Turn on the water valve and your tank is all clean.
Tips to Clean Toilet Tank
There are a few tips that you need to follow so that your tank remains tidy. Those tips include:
1. Clean it Regularly
Regular cleaning is a must so that it doesn’t get stained or rusted. However, you can deeply clean the toilet twice a year.
It is important to remove mineral buildups that make the condition of the toilet tank worse. Washrooms that are not regularly used can be missed for cleaning regularly.
2. Toilet Tank Cleaner
Your nasty toilet needs your attention more often so never take it for granted. Various cleaners are available in the market that fights different type of stains. However, before buying any cleaner ensure that it is safe for your toilet.
You can also apply the cleaner on the unnoticed part to check whether it is safe or not. Do not forget to wear a safety mask and gloves before pouring the cleaner into the toilet tank.
3. Never Mix Bleach and Vinegar
It is the most common problem that people often make and later regret. You can add Baking soda or Borax into the vinegar but never use bleach.
The toxic vapors created with this combination will harm you and your toilet. These are a few tips you should be concerned about while cleaning the toilet tank.
How Often to Clean the Toilet Tank?
For deep toilet tank cleaning, it is important to make it clean twice a year. However, if you live in an area with a lot of dust and moisture then it is vital to clean it once a month.
Ensure your toilet tank is free from spills, debris, and spirit minerals so that the stains do not become hard.
Homemade Disinfecting Cleaner
Various Disinfecting Cleaners are available in the market but you are not sure whether they are safe for your toilet or not. Hence, it is better to make Homemade Disinfecting Cleaners only by using alcohol and Vinegar.
To make the solution of Rubbing alcohol, mix 1 part water into 2 parts rubbing alcohol. In order to make a Vinegar solution, mix half water with half vinegar.
You can add this mixture into a spray bottle so that you can easily pour it into the toilet tank. You can also use this mixture for other cleaning purposes as well.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Clean the Inside of a Toilet Tank?
If the inside of a toilet tank has become dirty and full of grime then white vinegar and Baking soda are the perfect cleaning solution in this regard.
You can also mix both ingredients to make a perfect mixture. Other than that, a few cleaners are also available in the market that you can use.
Are You Supposed to Clean Your Toilet Tank?
It is important to clean your toilet tank regularly so that it remains tidy. However, if the stains have become hard then you can do this DIY work with vinegar. Baking soda, scrubbing brush, and warm water.
Is it Ok to Put Vinegar in The Toilet Tank?
White vinegar is totally safe to be added into the toilet tank as it removes dust, stains, trust, and all the debris. You can make a perfect mixture by adding Baking Soda or Borax into it.
What to Put in a Toilet Tank to Clean it?
You can save a lot of time by using cleaners available in the market. For a homemade solution, you can add Vinegar, Baking Soda, Borax, etc. They are the best mixtures for toilet cleaning.
What is the Best Toilet Tank Cleaner?
There is no specific cleaner in this regard as there are many that you can use. A few of them include Clorox ToiletWand Disposable Toilet Cleaner, Better Life Natural cleaner, Lysol Bleach-Free Hydrogen cleaner, etc.
Before using the cleaner ensure that it is safe for your toilet. Moreover, do not forget to wear gloves while using them.
I hope now you are fully aware that how to clean a toilet tank. Your toilet tank needs your attention now and then so never ignore it. I have mentioned the best and easiest way to make your tanks fully clean if they have become dirty.
If you are using vinegar for tank cleaning then never use bleach in it as it will harm your toilets. Apart from that, a few tips to keep your tank clean has also been mentioned so that you won’t face this issue again.
I hope this article will help you to do it as DIY work instead of calling a professional.