Are you looking for ways to clean faux fur rug in the simplest way possible?
Placing rugs in the home is the best way to enhance value and is the ideal alternative to carpets. In today’s age, people do not prefer placing carpets so they often go for rugs.
Faux fur rugs are quite common and can be seen in every household. Undoubtedly they give beautiful esthetics but what about the cleaning?
It isn’t easy to keep them clean from all stains and dust. However, if you are looking for the best way to keep them tidy, we are here for this purpose.
In this guide, I will explain all the cleaning methods for these rugs and what tips you can follow to keep them tidy all the time.
How to Clean Faux Fur Rug?
- You should have all the required tools necessary for this purpose.
- Before applying any chemical, shake the rug and use a vacuum in order to clean dust particles inside the fabric.
- Take a cleaning detergent and mix it in warm water in a tab.
- Once the solution is ready, dip the rug into that solution and let it dip there for the next 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, fill the tub with clean water and dip the rug to remove soapy residues.
- Do not forget to dry the rug before using it again.
Table of Contents
- Tools and Materials
- Steps To Clean A Faux Fur Rug
- Heavy Cleaning Method for Faux Fur Rug
- Light Cleaning Method for Faux Fur Rug
- How to Spot Clean Faux Fur Mats?
- How To Dry Faux Fur Rugs The Right Way?
- How To Restore a Matted Sheepskin Faux Rug?
- Caring Tips for Faux Sheepskin Rug
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Tools and Materials
To begin this DIY work, you must have all the necessary tools and materials with you to save time. So the tools you must have at home are:
Steps To Clean A Faux Fur Rug
There are a few faux rugs that can not be cleaned in a washing machine so you can only dry-clean them.
Hence before following the below-mentioned step ensure that they are safe to be cleaned. Always check the instructions mentioned on the label of each rug. So the steps include:
1. Vacuum the Faux Rug
There is much loose debris inserted into the fabric of the rug so better vacuum the rug before applying any chemical or water to it.
You can use a handheld vacuum for this purpose. Be careful while using the vacuum so that the fur doesn’t tangle.
Other than a vacuum cleaner, you can simply shake the rug so that all the loose debris and dust removes. It is better to perform this task outside so the dust doesn’t enter your house.
2. Make a Solution
To make a solution, take a tub and fill it with warm water and any cleaning detergent.
3. Soak the Rug in Solution
Once the solution is made, soak the rug in that solution for the next 30 minutes. You can increase the time depending on the situation of the rug.
Do not rub it during this process. After 30 minutes, soak the rug in clean water and let it be there for the next 15 minutes.
4. Rinse the Rug with Water
Once you are sure that your beautiful rug is thoroughly clean, empty the tub and fill it with warm and clean water.
Soak the rug in that water for the next few minutes in order to remove all the solution or cleaner residues. Do not squeeze the rug during this process.
5. Dry it Fully
Once you are done with the rinsing, now move the rug to the flat surface so that it is fully dry. Never use a wet rug because it will cause more stains and dust particles.
If it is sunny weather, you can simply hang the rug on the wall so that it quickly dries.
The above-mentioned steps are not for every situation because sometimes it requires easy cleaning while sometimes you need to follow hard cleaning methods to make your rugs fully cleaned.
Let’s talk about each cleaning method separately to know which one you should adopt in which situation.
Heavy Cleaning Method for Faux Fur Rug
Sometimes the rug is too dirty that it needs heavy cleaning. For heavy and deep cleaning, follow the below-mentioned points that will surely give effective results. The steps include:
- The first step is to eliminate all the knots and tangles that you can do with a cat brush. Gently apply the brush to the entire surface.
- Now put the rug into the washing machine and make it flat so that it evenly spreads out. It is better to keep the rug in a front-loader washing machine.
- Now put 1 tablespoon of washing detergent.
- Keep the setting of the machine to the lowest and the temperature to cold or warm.
- Once the cycle has stopped running, put the rug out from the machine and hang it on the wall so that direct sunlight dries it quickly. Do not put the rug in the dryer because the fiber can be damaged.
It is how you can make your rugs thoroughly cleaned with the heavy cleaning method.
Light Cleaning Method for Faux Fur Rug
If there is a little dirt then you can follow the light cleaning method. The steps include:
- Shake the rug in order to remove all the loose dust and debris.
- Now use a vacuum cleaner and apply it to the rug in the fiber direction. If you have an upright cleaner then use its hose attachment as well.
- Take a bowl and fill it with warm water and mild detergent.
- Now take a sponge and dip it into the solution. Do not forget to wring it before using the cloth on the rug.
- Apply the sponge with gentle hands to the rug. Keep a special eye on the dirty parts of the rug.
- Now rinse off the sponge with clean water and once again apply to the rug in order to remove soapy residues.
- With a cat brush, level the entire rug.
- Once you are done with the cleaning, hang the rug in direct sunlight so that it quickly dries.
How to Spot Clean Faux Fur Mats?
If you found stains on your lovely rugs, do not panic because you can quickly get rid of those stains by following the below-mentioned steps. They include:
- It is better if you immediately notice the stain. Take a towel and remove the liquid from the stain as much as you can.
- Now use a half tablespoon of laundry detergent on a towel.
- Start rubbing the stained part with a towel in a circular direction. If the stain is still there, use OxiClean and start rubbing with the towel again. Before using Oxiclean make sure it is safe for your rugs.
- Once the stain is gone, rinse the towel with water and remove soapy residues from the mat.
- Put the rug on a flat surface so that it quickly dries.
How To Dry Faux Fur Rugs The Right Way?
There are a few Do’s and Don’ts that you should follow in this regard. They include:
- After cleaning your rug, always choose the air dry method because it is the safest and best.
- You can also hang your rugs under sunlight and wind so that it quickly dries.
- For drying, you can also go for a hairdryer and keep it at a minimum setting.
- Never use a dry cleaner in order to dry the rugs. because it can cause damage to the fibers and hair of rugs.
- Do not hang heavenly wet rugs on the wall because it can change the fiber’s direction.
Keep these points always in mind to dry fuzzy rugs.
How To Restore a Matted Sheepskin Faux Rug?
All you need is a cat brush to restore a matted faux sheepskin rug. A cat brushes not only removes all types of dust and debris from the fiber but it also helps to keep the hair straight. It is how you can restore your furry living room rugs.
Keep in mind that a pure sheepskin rug is different from a sheepskin faux rug. Its method of cleaning is also different from the cleaning procedure of faux fur rug.
Caring Tips for Faux Sheepskin Rug
Once you have done all the cleanings of your faux fur rug, now it’s time to remember some useful tips to take care of this luxurious item of your home:
Must Do the Spot Clean on Every Spill
Once you have noticed any spill or debris, you have to instantly react to it and remove it with the right cleaning method. It’s not a good practice on these types of rugs to wait for your cleaning schedule and leave the spill unattended.
Give it a Short Shaking Session Regularly
Shaking the Faux fur rugs instantly eliminates crumbs and dust particles. If you regularly adopt this practice, it will discourage storing dirt particles in it.
You can improve your carpet cleaning performance with this exercise in no time.
Avoid Exposure to Moisture
If you feel an ugly odor from your faux sheepskin rug, it’s a clear sign of moisture hidden on its surface. If you frequently expose this rug to the humid area of your living space, there is a certain chance of mold and mildew growth.
This might lead to a permanent bad scent and dark spots on your lovely rug. It is so important to place this rug always on a drier floor and discourage the moisture in this type of carpet.
Use the Vacuum Machine with Care
You will find various vacuums in the current market explicitly designed for high pile rugs. However, their manufacturer still keenly recommends using this machine with the right setting.
In the case of a faux fur rug, you have to avoid the rotating brush, flat head, or any other stiff bristle brush on its surface.
Never Delay Washing these Rugs
Another useful tip for these rugs is to wash them regularly and at the right time. If you have made a timetable, you should follow it strictly and wash these rugs to effectively remove stains, debris, and bad odor.
The Right Storage Technique
If you are a faux fur rug owner, you must know its storage method for the right care. Once this rug is not in your use anymore, then you should give a washing session to it and completely dry it before storage.
If you forget to wash it and put a dirty rug in your cabinet, the stains and dirt will get tougher, making it extremely difficult to clean it again.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
There are still a few questions that might confuse you about your fur rugs. Let’s answer those questions for more understanding.
How Do You Clean a Furry Area Rug?
The cleaning method depends on how much your rug is dirty. If it needs heavy cleaning, you should use a front-loader machine. If it requires light cleaning, follow the steps mentioned above.
How Can I Make My Faux Fur Rug Soft Again?
The perfect way is to take a damp towel and put it over your soft rug. After some time, iron over it. You will clearly feel the softness.
Can You Dry a Faux Fur Rug?
Always go for the air-dry method instead of drying it in a dry-cleaner. The air dryer method is the safest one.
Moreover, you can hang your rug on the wall in sunny and windy temperatures. Always remember to follow the right method to dry your rug.
How Do You Clean an Artificial Rug?
Before applying any chemical, remove dust and debris inserted inside the fiber. Water and a sponge are enough to clean the carpet thoroughly from the inside. If there are a few stubborn stains you can get rid of them by using vinegar.
Can Synthetic Rugs Be Washed?
Yes, you can wash any type of synthetic rug in the machine as it is safe to do so. You can also check the safety precautions before washing them.
Rugs or mats are a part of every household and keeping them clean is your sole responsibility.
This article depicts how you can clean faux fur rugs if you have one in your home. Faux rugs are quite delicate so do not over-rub them while cleaning.
I have mentioned different ways of cleaning in this guide so that you can follow what better suits your rug.
Moreover, there are different drying tips that you should follow in order to avoid common mistakes. I hope this guide will help you clean your beautiful faux fur rug in the future.