Are you going to renovate your washroom, and you are confused about what type of door you should select? What should be the material and from where should you buy it?
These questions must be circulating in your mind because renovation or remodeling is not a matter of seconds; you have to think beyond your imagination to come up with the best ideas. Perhaps you can give a shot to barn door for bathroom this time.
Barn doors are common everywhere these days, and people usually consider them for bathrooms. Let’s talk about why you should use this type of door and what is the installation method so that you do not have to hire anyone.
What is a Barn Door?
A barn door is made of metal or wood that is sliding and is normally installed in bathrooms. However, you can also consider it for other rooms as well, but the bathroom is the most popular place where you will find this type of door.
You open this door horizontally, and it is rounded at the top. The question is why one should think about installing such doors instead of normal ones. Let’s have a look at those features that give you an idea about why you should go for this side.
Why You Should Use Barn Door for Bathroom?
After a detailed analysis of both types of doors, our expert team succeeded in finding some major differences in both doors. The below-mentioned points tell why barn doors should be your priority in your future projects.
It Saves Enough Space
A traditional door takes enough space as it has to swing open but on the other hand, a barn door is a sliding door that doesn’t occupy a lot of space and is easy to clean.. A fraction area would be enough for such doors.
It simply means you have enough area or capacity to add all your desired accessories in your bathrooms including countertops, mirrors, shower areas, etc.
The more space you have, the more appropriately you can customize your washrooms as per your requirement and desire. Hence, why not save space for your own benefit?
Installation is Simple
What can be better than installing a door as DIY work by saving an additional amount? With the right tools and some basic knowledge, you can surely manage this work without anyone’s help.
A traditional door is difficult to be installed as it involves a lot of tricks and complexities. It is the main reason why I found such doors worth installing.
It doesn’t matter what type of barn door you are going to consider, each one is easy to install. The installation method will also be discussed below.
A Versatile Door Type
Are you thinking that you are bound to install a barn door only in bathrooms then you are wrong. Apart from bathrooms, you can contemplate them for your master bedrooms, guest baths, kitchens, living rooms, etc.
However, the bathroom is a place where it is normally found.
It Adds Value
No one gets excited or impressed with a traditional door because they are common and can be found anywhere but a barn door can seize your attention anytime you will see installing it anywhere. For your modern house, you must go for them.
There are different kinds of barn doors so you can choose according to the requirement or what excites you. As far as the color is concerned, you can match it with the room’s interior to give it a more catchy look. It will also increase the house sales value.
How to Install Barn Door for Bathroom?
I hope now you must have made up your mind to install this door so let’s now talk about that installation method that you can easily follow.
You must have some tools and materials before you start this work for your own convenience.
Tools and Materials Needed
- Miter Saw
- Barn door hardware
- Roughly Nine board
Ensure you have all the above-mentioned accessories because they are needed to complete this installation process. Now let’s move on to the actual method.
How to Construct a Barn Door?
The steps to construct this door are:
- The main and foremost step is to do the measurement of the space so that you get the size of the board to install.
- Now decide what type of barn door you want for your bathroom. Better go for 2 layer door.
- The back layer of the door must be covered with a 1×6 board.
- Once the gap of the back side is covered, now fill the front side with the same size of the board. Make sure there should not even a little gap left between both front and back side layers. Now again get your hands on 1×6 size board to fill the gap vertically. For diagonal, you have to follow the same procedure. It is how you will cover each gap with the equal size of board.
- Once you have cut down all the boards, it’s time to attach them with screws. Ensure you have perfectly fitted them so that they doesn’t fall.
- After attaching each board, do not forget to paint your door to enhance the look. The paint should be well-matched with the room’s interior to make it more stylish and eye-catchy. After adding a pull on the handle of the door you are done with the installation.
Pros of Barn Door
There are different types and kind of barn doors and each one contain numerous pros and cons that you must know before you choose any particular one.
Let’s point out some pros that will excite you to install them for your bathrooms or any other space.
- They add value to the space and also enhance the beauty because of being stylish and captivating.
- They are enriched with numerous styles and designs so it will be easy for you to find the required option.
- You can save a lot of space after installing a barn door as compared to traditional doors that occupy more space and capacity.
- The installation is simple so you can save some money. For traditional doors installation, it is important to hire an expert who charges more.
- You are not bound to install such door only in bathroom. You can consider other spaces for this purpose including living rooms, master bedroom, kitchen, etc.
Cons of Barn Door
Hold on because we have some cons to discuss as well. It is better to have a look at these disadvantages before you decide to install them. They include:
- There are a few types of barn doors that lack privacy. You can easily find this feature in traditional doors but unfortunately, it is missing in some barn doors.
- The sound of these doors might irritate you. Moreover, it fails to stop bathroom odor due to a little gap between the floor and the bottom door.
Cost of Barn Doors
After knowing all the details of sliding barn doors, you must be thinking that they will be quite expensive and not within everyone’s range.
What if I tell you that they are cost-effective and you can easily think about them without worrying about the cost? The price depends on the model that you will buy but yes you can easily find them within the $250 – $2,000 range.
Of course, you will not get all the features if you go for a $250 barn door and you can enjoy every aspect if you go further in price.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Do you want to know more about these doors or is there any query that is making you confused? Do not worry because the guide is not over yet. We have collected a few questions from different platforms that people ask about this topic.
Are Barn Doors a Good Idea for a Bathroom?
Yes, barn doors are commonly found in bathrooms so it is always great to consider that space if you are planning to install them in the future.
When Should You Use a Barn Door?
If the space is not enough and you want to install a door that occupies less storage, it is the best decision to install such doors. Moreover, in modern houses, it is commonly used because it looks stylish and seizes everyone’s attention.
What Type of Door is Waterproof?
There are different types of doors that are waterproof and will go best for bathrooms including Termite polished waterproof door, Water Resistance HDHMR door, etc.
Which Colour is Best for Barn Door Bathroom?
It is better to choose the color of the bathroom door according to the room’s interior so that it looks more amazing and beautiful. Normally the color of the bathroom door is brown, rustic, white, etc.
So the question is should you choose barn doors for your bathroom? Yes, you should go for it in the future if you are planning to remodel your bathroom or any other space.
They are quite different from traditional doors and also have a lot of features that we have discussed above. You can find a wide range of variety in such doors that’s why they should be your priority.
They are also easy to maintain and you do not need anyone’s assistance for installation. I have tried to convey the installation points in a simple way so that even a beginner can understand them.
If you are still confused over some point, you can always mention your queries in the comment section.