What to do when your house has broken windows or torn screens, and you are unaware of how to remove the screen from the window?
You don’t need to worry about that as this article will help you in fixing and removing the screen from the window.
Windows are considered an essential part of the house because they control the overall air ventilation process, making its atmosphere comfortable to breathe and live in.
As much as air ventilation is essential, windows also play an integral part for safety purposes, as with broken or torn windows, there is a possibility of insects, bugs, and even a stranger hopping in from the outside.
So, to make sure none of the unwelcomed visitors are entering the house from a broken or torn window, you must know how to remove the screen from the window.
Table of Contents
How to Remove Screen from Windows? 6 Simple Steps
Step 1. Open the entire window from both sides.
Step 2. Pull out all the tabs from its fame.
Step 3. Now lift the screen tab in the opposite direction to pull it out as well.
Step 4. Remove the screen from its frame completely.
Step 5. Catch the pins and latches for future use.
Step 6. Finally, carry the window screen and set it at any safer place.
Types of Windows
As much as learning how to remove windows is important, it is also necessary to know what type and styles of windows you are dealing with.
As there are many different types of windows screens, each type has its own method of removal of the screen.
Interior Windows Screen
As the name suggests, interior windows are the windows that are typically installed from the inside of the house to frame the window casing the inside for style and aesthetic purposes.
Exterior Windows Screen
As with exterior windows, these windows are installed from the house’s exterior, with their casings and moldings being also framed from the outside of the house.
Styles of Windows
Just like the types of window screen, there are also various styles of windows which includes;
Single-hung-style windows allow air ventilation from just one part of the window, unlike the double-hung windows. These are easier to clean and take care of, offering a lower operable and a fixed upper sash.
Double-hung windows are the windows that are most commonly used in houses offering windows that are operable from both the top and the bottom.
Casements windows are windows that have a unique style that is attached to their frame by one or more hinges from the sides. These windows have a crank open to the outward, to the left, or right simultaneously.
The sliding style of windows is used in many houses nowadays. These windows are made to glide horizontally from one side to another and are much more suitable for shorter walls.
The sliding window usually has one or more sliding screens.
Now we’ll further get into the detailed guide about how to remove screens from windows.
Point to be Kept in Mind!
The screen of windows is delicate and flexible enough to be removed with ease because of their designs.
How to Remove Screen from Window – A DIY Guide
This is how you can easily remove screens from the windows of your home:
Removing Screen from the Inside of the House
So the first and foremost thing to do while you begin removing the window from the inside of the house is to
- The first step here is to open the window completely from both sides.
- Then you must pull out the tabs from both sides of the frame
- After the tabs have been pulled out, lift the lower part of the screens.
- Then pull the screen towards you and towards the center so that it is completely dismantled.
- Some screens carry pins and latches, make sure to remove them if you carry any.
- Once the screen is removed from the frame you should set it aside if you are not replacing the screen with a new one.
Removing Screen from the Outside of the House
For the screen to be removed from the outside of the house, you must
- Just Pull the stash
- Hold the frame around the screen and push it outward
- Tap the screen from one side and remove it through the opening
After we’re done with the removal of windows based on different types
Now we’ll guide you on the steps on how to remove the screen from the window based on different styles
How to Remove Single-Hung Windows Screen
- To remove the single-hung window, you must first open the window wide completely.
- You must open the lower tabs of the window and try to push it outward from the frame.
- Now you must rotate the screen to remove it from the frame.
How to Remove Double-Hung Windows Screen
- You may begin by raising the lower part of the sash to remove the screen entirely.
- Raise the screen at least 3 inches above to remove it with ease
- After the screen has been raised, you must grab its bottom and raise it to the center, compressing it to the left side.
- After completing the third step, you will notice the two springs on the side of the screen, which will make it easy for the screen to pop out of the window.
- Finally, you should turn the screen sideways and take it out of the window to be either replaced or cleaned.
How to Remove Casement Windows Screen
- To remove the casement windows screen, you must first pull out the tabs from either side of the window
- Pulling the tabs will simply pop the window out, and the screen will be easily removed.
- This is how the casement windows screen is removed.
How to Remove Sliding Windows Screen
- To remove the screen from a sliding window screen, you must completely open the screen’s sashes.
- Sliding the screen towards the middle
- Search for the screen spring clips, which are to be located at the top of the slider window screen.
- Now lastly, you should push the screen out and bring it in towards yourself
- This is how the slider windows screen is removed.
Safety Precautions for Screen Removal
These are some of the points to be kept in mind for the safety of removing the screen from the windows:
- While removing the screen, you must be careful that you don’t hurt yourself
- It would be best if you do not lean completely towards the screen as there might be a possible chance of you falling out of the window.
- Avoid holding the screen with your bare hands if it’s torn or broken, as you may hurt yourself.
- Use tools as such a screw diver or gloves for the safety
- Cover your screens after removing them until they are correctly replaced or recovered to prevent bugs and other things from getting inside the house.
Several factors could break, tear, or even make the windows screen all dirty.
But in any of these cases, what you must know is a way to safely remove and clear up any issue related to the window screen, and for that, we have covered almost every aspect that is required for you to consider in this article.
So to keep your home and households properly in shape and up to date, you must keep checking what improvements needs to be made.
We hope that this article will make it easy for you to know better about removing the screen from windows.