If you’re wondering how you can improve the look of your house, then you can try giving your kitchen a makeover. Most modern homes have granite kitchen countertops. It is indeed the most wanted design in today’s household. You would definitely want to replace that old boring kitchen tile with this elegant material.
But granite can be quite expensive. You would need to get a professional to help you cut the design for your granite countertop. It would also be nice if you can have something you can do by yourself. The best advice is to paint your kitchen tiles.
You don’t need to spend much to transform the look of your old kitchen. You can add a dramatic effect on your tile kitchen countertops simply by painting them. It’s pretty easy and quite inexpensive. You can save a lot on your home improvement budget with these steps.
Tools and Materials
Here’s what you will need:
- Flat – head foam paintbrush
- Stencil Patterns
- Tape Measure
- Craft paint
- Painter’s tape
- Poly – acrylic sealer
- Cotton Swabs
How to paint the stencil design?
- Lay out the pattern. Make sure that the tiles are clean and dry before applying paint on them. Paint will hold better to a clean surface. Using a tape measure, find the centre point of each tile and mark it with a pencil.
- Place the stencil pattern on the tile. Using a painter’s tape, place the first stencil pattern at the centre of the tile. You can use two different stencil patterns for your design.
- Begin painting. Lightly dab the flat – head foam brush on the paint and press it gently on the stencil. Make sure that paint on the brush is not full and move the brush in small motions into the centre. If you press the brush too hard, then the paint will bleed underneath the stencil. Be careful not to get paint on the tile grout.
- Carefully remove the stencil and wash it clean. Then continue painting with the next tile using the same steps as with the first tile. It is helpful to paint the inner stencil on all tiles before moving on to the outer stencil. Make sure that the paint is completely dry. If you made a mistake, you can remove the paint with cotton swab.
It’s time to paint the outer pattern.
Using another stencil, you can add style to your design pattern. Place it an angle to give it an artistic look. Repeat the same steps as with the inner pattern. Paint each pattern one corner at a time. Make sure that the paint has completely dried before moving on to the next tile to prevent smudges.
Finish your design with an acrylic sealer.
You need to apply three coats of this acrylic sealer. Make sure that the first coat has dried before applying the second coat. Also make sure that the paint has dried before applying the first coat.
How to apply acrylic sealer on the tile?
Simply brush gently across the tile in one direction using a foam brush. Going back and forth over the same spot could drag the paint across the tile. Start painting at the top of the tile and gently work down. Let the coat dry before applying the next coat.
You can also try these steps on your bathroom tiles. You don’t really need much for this home improvement project and it will only take you a few hours to finish it. It’s a quick, easy and fun way to create a dramatic change in your home.
If you end up painting the tile and not liking the result, you can always break the tiles to create a beautiful mosaic table.
Mark Brandon is a DIY builder who has plenty of experience in home renovation and inspection. He loves to share his knowledge and expertise to people through blogs. He leads the content team at Safe and Sound Property Inspections. If you have any questions, you can reach him via Google+ or Twitter.