To clean lvp flooring is not as easy as it seems. If you are looking to invest in the lvp flooring, the first and foremost thing to keep in mind is the cleaning procedure of these floors because these floors are easy to install but a bit difficult to maintain.
Apart from looks, lvp offers many other benefits that make this flooring worth considering. One of the most important things you should look for before getting lvp floor is to know about the maintenance of these floors.
It is better to use a mop on floors regularly to remove all the dirt and dust to maintain appropriately. Some important things to be known before we get into the complete guide about how to clean luxury vinyl plank flooring.
Table of Contents
How to Clean Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring?
- Arrange a bristle brush or vacuum for cleaning.
- Sweep the floor with a broom to remove dirt.
- Do spot cleaning to eliminate stains and spills.
- Mop the floor to remove remaining grimes and dirt particles.
- Apply the homemade solution to your luxury vinyl planks.
- Dry the surface with a microfiber cloth.
- Use baking soda or vinegar-based solution to kill the stains.
- If you’re not satisfied with the results, then repeat this process.
Lvp flooring is called luxury vinyl plank flooring. It gives a complete look of wooden floors in a plank vinyl design.
Types of Flooring
There are two types of vinyl flooring,
1. LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank)
The vinyl plank flooring is available in a variety of different colors and textures to match the interior of your house.
One of the top features of lvp is that these vinyl planks are water-resistant, unlike bare wood floors. And not only just that, but they also stain resistant.
2. LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile)
LVT flooring is known as luxury vinyl tiles. As the name suggests, these are not like bare wood floors. Neither do they resemble the vinyl planks. Instead, the lvt flooring resembles stone tiles.
Unlike the basic tiles, these tiles have a thick, dense layer, making them more durable. These types of floors are also available in numerous designs and colors.
Lvts are easily suitable for small areas and easily replaceable to new ones in case of damage.
Maintenance of LVP Flooring
Now that we know some details about the vinyl flooring, let’s dive into the maintenance and cleaning part of lvp (luxury vinyl plank flooring).
- The luxury vinyl plank floors are easy to maintain, but they are also very durable and much cheaper to install.
- These floors have a thick protective finish and are moisture resistant.
- Like all flooring types, this flooring also requires to be regularly cleaned.
- It is crucial to sweep off any dirt or debris from the floor because it may cause extensive damage to the Lvt.
If the dirt gathers on the floor, there is a chance that it might get through the core because of the scratches and eventually lead to swelling and rotting.
Ultimately the swelling and rotting bring down the aesthetics of the whole flooring.
How to Clean Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Going further into the complete guide for deep cleaning the lvp floors, the first and foremost thing to keep in mind is that you must not use:
- Raucous detergents
- Strong chemicals
As any of these products might ruin the overall condition of the flooring.
Tools & Supplies Needed to Clean the LVP Flooring
- Vinyl plank cleaner
- Soft, bristle brush
- Microfiber cloth
- Bucket of water
- Apple cider vinegar
- White vinegar
The LVP Floor Cleaning Procedure
Starting off with cleaning the luxury vinyl flooring:
Step 1. Removing Surface Dirt
The first thing to do is remove the excess dirt by either using a vacuum or a bristle brush
Step 2. Sweeping
Secondly, you can sweep the floors with a mop or a broom to remove dirt.
Step 3. Spot Stain Cleaning
It would be best to spot stains and spills on the floor. For this, you should use a soap with water and use a bristle brush to wash and scrub away the stains.
Step 4. Mopping
Once the stains and spills are clear, you should use a mop to remove any residual dirt and grimes on the floor.
Step 5. Homemade Solution
The best lvp cleaner is apple cider vinegar and water. For this, you need to add a cup of apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar) to a bucket full of water. And then use a mop to sweep the floor in the direction of the planks.
Step 6. Drying Out The Floor
To remove the excess water or the homemade solution from the floor it is better to use the microfiber cloth. Eventually, it will dry out the water from the floor, making it clear and visible.
Step 7. For Stubborn Stains
If your floor contains any stains that are too stubborn to be removed. You can use either baking soda or isopropyl alcohol as it helps in removing these stubborn stains.
Step 8. Repeating The Procedure
Lastly, as you know the details about how to clean lvp flooring, it is better to keep in mind that the cleaning and maintenance of the floors must not be avoided or ignored.
It should be done every once or twice a week to maintain the floors spotlessly and stainless.
If you have pets and kids in your house, you may need to clean your flooring more frequently.
- You must avoid pushing, pulling, or dragging the heavy furniture placed on the floor to prevent the floor from getting scratched.
- To prevent streaks and scratches, you must use readily available furniture sliders.
- The use of rubber mats or latex mats might cause discoloration
- Make sure all furniture legs have flat, non-staining floor protectors applied
- Heavy furniture that is difficult to move with ease requires furniture casters
- Isopropyl alcohol and other liquids used to wash floors are inflammable solvents and are need to be carefully applied.
- Make sure you avoid traffic during the cleaning process.
- Avoid using wax; these floors do not require wax.
- Do not use any resurface coating as it may cause peaking on the luxury vinyl plank flooring.
Pros and Cons of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Here are the pros and cons of luxury vinyl plank flooring that you should keep in mind while buying them:
Let’s have a look into some of the advantages related to the luxury vinyl plank flooring:
- Lvp planks are relatively cheap when it comes to traditional hardwood.
- Always try to clean the floor without leaving streaks.
- This Flooring offers excellent durability compared to the classic hardwood and a pretty similar outlook.
- Luxury vinyl plank floors come in numerous options and offer a great sense of aesthetics for your house.
- The Lvp floors are spill and scratch-resistant, allowing them to be installed in high-traffic areas of the house.
- Luxury vinyl floors are effortless to be maintained and easy to clean.
These are some of the downsides of having LVP floors in the home:
- The colors of the floors might fade away with direct exposure to sunlight.
- Once the floor is complete, it contains adhesive glue, which is quite strong, making it difficult to remove.
By keeping the details related to luxury vinyl flooring mentioned in this article. It might be a lot easier for you to choose from the variety of vinyl flooring and what type of vinyl flooring suits your house.
Plus, as we have explained in detail how to clean lvp floors, we hope that everything covered in this article helps you make the most of what you’re looking for.