Do you feel that the brims of your bathing cap get dirtier? Learn the easiest way to clean the shower cap and protect your hair from getting frizzy from unnecessary washing.
The shower caps are usually made with different materials. Every type needs to be washed according to its fabrics; otherwise, it will damage soon.
Here you will find multiple cleaning methods according to the kind of shower cap so that you can easily choose a method that suits you more.
The Best DIY Way to Clean Shower Cap
- Make a vinegar-based solution with water in a small basin and put the shower cap in it for 20 minutes.
- Rub the cap gently and later drain it with warm water.
- Put this cap again in water-based detergent and swirl it to remove hair dirt.
- Wash it again by rubbing the cap in your fingers.
- Drain the basin again with clean water to eliminate all the messes.
- Rinse the shower cap with clean water and air dry the shower cap before use.
Table of Contents
Tools to Clean Shower Cap by Hand Washing
Before moving to the details of the steps, let us look at a few tools or equipment in this regard.
Wash the Shower Cap According to Its Material
As you know, shower caps are made from different materials. So, the washing method of every material is not the same.
Some stuff requires hand washing because it can be damaged by placing in the machine. Some can be washed by machine and can last for a year.
In the following table, it is mentioned how different types of shower caps are washed.
|Shower Cap Type||Method of Washing|
|Silk||Hand wash with mild detergent and cold water|
|Terry lined||Washable in machine but avoid placing in the dryer|
|Plastic||Can be washed by hand|
Hand Washing the Shower Cap
- Step 1: Take a small basin and fill it with enough vinegar to cover the shower cap.
- Step 2: Put the shower cap completely into the vinegar so that it soaks the liquid. Leave it in the vinegar for 20 minutes. Soaking it in vinegar removes the smell of mildew.
- Step 3: Remove the cap from the vinegar and rub it gently.
- Step 4: Drain the basin and add warm water.
- Step 5: Mix detergent in the warm water, and swirl with your hands to make foam on it.
- Step 6: Put the shower cap into the mixture, and gently rub it so that the hair products and dirt disappear. Now leave it for a while.
- Step 7: Now wash it gently with your hands, and rub it with your fingers. You will see oil cleaning the cap.
- Step 8: Drain the basin and fill it with clean water.
- Step 9: Rinse the shower cap in clean water. Turn it in and out several times. After rinsing, wring it to remove the excess water.
- Step 10: Let it air dry. If you want to sundry, do not leave it for a long time.
Machine Washing the Shower Cap
Before you start to clean the shower cap, first check if the shower cap is machine washable.
- Step 1: Mix warm water and mild detergent in the machine, choose a gentle cycle.
- Step 2: When the cycle is complete, rinse the shower cap thoroughly and let it dry.
Store the Shower Cap After Use
When you use a shower cap during treating or deep conditioning your hair, you must clean thoroughly the sides that have come into contact with your hair, with warm water and detergent.
Wipe dry it with a towel, and hang it in an airy place.
Mold Free Shower Cap
Some brands advertise their shower caps as mold-free, you cannot fully rely on this. You have to keep it mold-free by caring for it in the right way.
Keep your shower cap mold-free using the following tips.
- Do not store your shower cap with oil and the residues of hair products.
- Mold off your shower cap by keeping it dry after us.
- Check the linings of the shower cap after every use to determine if they are wet. In case of wetness, turn the cap inside out and hang it to dry.
Pros and Cons of Cleaning Shower Caps
Ahead are some of the various good things and downsides of washing shower caps frequently:
- Cleaning it prolongs its lifespan.
- Removes the unpleasant odor.
- It can be reused and a reusable cap is cost-effective.
- You can keep it mold-free by cleaning it.
- Frequent washes can damage the shower caps.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should You Wash Your Shower Cap?
If your shower cap is made of plastic, rinse it with direct water frequently.
On the other hand, some shower caps are made of different materials other than plastic, these should be washed after a week to prevent them from damage.
Do Shower Caps Keep Hair Dry?
Shower caps keep our hair dry. In this way, it protects our hair from frizziness and damage to a hairstyle.
What Can I Use Instead of A Shower Cap?
You can DIY a shower cap by using a plastic bag and pins. Cover your hair completely with it. In this way, you will protect your hair from getting wet.
Can You Re-Use a Shower Cap?
In today’s market, there are reusable shower caps. You can use a costly shower cap for a year without replacing it. Cheap plastic caps only last a few uses.
The unpleasant odor of the shower caps is a major issue that people often deal with. Unwashed cap can later transfer this smell to your hair.
As a result, your hair starts smelling. To fix this issue, we have mentioned all the details to clean the shower cap.
These are quick methods to follow and do not require a lot of time and effort. Cleaning shower caps will save you money because the cap will be reusable.
The shower cap and the shower shoes are the daily usage items you can’t really ignore. Having the best pair of shower caps and shower shoes is what everyone needs as a personal care item.
We hope this article will be helpful for you.