A shower cap, also known as a bathing cap, is used to protect your hair from getting wet while you bathe. Clean shower cap regularly, to achieve protection. There are also shower caps made especially for children, which are crowns with brims to protect shampoo and water from getting into the eyes.
If you wash your hair too much, it will get frizzy. That is the reason that you should wear a shower cap on your head while taking bath. Your hair can be in place by using it.
As a result of using the shower cap, it can collect unpleasant smells over time. A shower cap becomes smelly due to the dirt and oil of your hair.
Clean shower cap regularly to get rid of this smell. The smell will be transferred to your hair if you do not clean it. A little time and effort are required to clean it.
Depending on the quality of the cap, you can use a method of hand wash or machine wash. Some shower caps allow both methods, but these are expensive as compared to regular shower caps. Before moving to the steps, let us look at a few tools or equipment in this regard.
Table of Contents
Tools to Clean Shower Cap by Hand Washing
- A small basin
- Warm water
- Mild detergent
Wash the Shower Cap According to the Material Used
As you know, shower caps are made from different materials. So, the washing method of every material is not the same. Some stuff requires hand washing because it can be damaged by placing in the machine. Some can be washed by machine and can last for a year.
- Take a small basin and fill it with enough vinegar to cover the shower cap.
- Put the shower cap completely into the vinegar so that it is covered by it. Leave it in the vinegar for 20 minutes.
- Soaking it in vinegar removes the smell of mildew.
- Remove the cap from the vinegar and rub it gently.
- Drain the basin and add warm water.
- Mix detergent in the warm water, swirl with your hands to make foam on it.
- Put the shower cap into the mixture, gently rub it so that the hair products and dirt disappear. Now leave it for a while.
- Now wash it gently with your hands, rub it with your fingers. You will see the cap is getting cleaned from oil.
- Drain the basin and fill it with clean water.
- Rinse the shower cap in clean water. Turn it in and out several times. After rinsing, wring it to remove the excess water.
- Let it air dry. If you want to sundry, do not leave it for a long time.
Before you start to clean the shower cap, first check if the shower cap is machine washable.
- Mix warm water and mild detergent in the machine, choose a gentle cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, rinse the shower cap thoroughly and let it dry.
In the following table, it is mentioned how different types of shower caps are washed.
|Shower Cap||Method of Washing|
|Silk||Hand wash with mild detergent and cold water|
|Terry lined||Washable in machine but avoid placing in the dryer|
|Plastic||Can be washed by hand|
Store the Shower Cap After Use
When you use a shower cap during treating or deep conditioning your hair, you must clean thoroughly the sides that have come into contact with your hair, with warm water and detergent. Wipe dry it with a towel, hang it in an airy place.
Mold Free Shower Cap
Some brands advertise their shower caps as mold-free, you cannot fully rely on this. You have to keep it mold-free by caring for it in the right way. Some tips are mentioned below to keep your shower cap mold-free.
- Do not store your shower cap with oil and the residues of hair products.
- Mold off your shower cap by keeping it dry after us.
- Check the linings of the shower cap after every use to determine if they are wet. In case of wetness, turn the cap inside out and hang it to dry.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cleaning Shower Caps
Best Practices To Follow
- Cleaning it prolong its lifespan.
- Removes the unpleasant odor.
- It can be reused and a reusable cap is cost-effective.
- You can keep it mold-free by cleaning.
Keep In Mind
- Frequent washes can damage the shower caps.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you wash your shower cap?
If your shower cap is made of plastic, rinse it with direct water frequently. On the other hand, some shower caps are made of different materials other than plastic, these should be washed after a week to prevent them from damage.
Do shower caps keep hair dry?
Shower caps keep our hair dry. In this way, it protects our hair from frizziness and damage to a hairstyle.
What can I use instead of a shower cap?
You can DIY a shower cap by using a plastic bag and pins. Cover your hair completely with it. In this way, you will protect your hair from getting wet.
Can you re-use a shower cap?
In today’s market, there are reusable shower caps. You can use a costly shower cap for a year without replacing it. Cheap plastic caps only last a few uses.
The unpleasant odor of the shower caps is a major issue that people often deal with. This smell is later transferred to your hair if you do not wash it. As a result, your hair starts smelling. To fix this issue, we have mentioned all the details to clean the shower cap.
These are quick methods to follow and do not require a lot of time and effort. Cleaning shower caps will save you money because the cap will be reusable.
The shower cap and the shower shoes are the daily usage items you can’t really ignore. Having the best pair of shower caps and shower shoes is what everyone needs as a personal care item.
We hope this article will be helpful for you.