Do you want the best underlayment for vinyl flooring? If yes is your answer, you are at the right place.
Vinyl floors come in numerous eye-catchy designs and colors, and they surely enhance the beauty of your room. You can find them easily from your nearby market but choosing them is not enough.
To get the optimum results, you should be extra cautious about the underlayment that is placed beneath these floors.
If your subfloor is not installed correctly, you will get numerous problems in the future regarding your vinyl floors. Vinyl flooring is easy to install, so many people perform this work at home.
Hence, you should be aware of each detail to avoid future issues. In this guide, I will explain to you the best underlayment for vinyl flooring so that you won’t find any installation issues.
Table of Contents
Our Top Picks
Let’s not waste any more time and begin the guide.
Why Use Underlayment for Vinyl Flooring?
Underlayment is a thin layer of material that does a lot of work. It prevents floors from being damaged; it reduces the voice that occurs while walking on the floor.
It makes installation smooth and helps insulation and cushion. This thin layer can be of any material, including foam, rubber, and fiber.
While purchasing vinyl floors, the manufacturer also gives you various recommendations regarding the underlayment. However, if you are confused about which one is ideal for your floors, this article will accommodate you.
I have listed the top 12 best underlayments for vinyl and vinyl plank flooring that you would love to use. Here we go.
Best Underlayments for Vinyl Flooring
Whether you are looking for the best underlayment for vinyl flooring on concrete, vinyl sheet flooring, or you want underlayment for laminate flooring, these below-mentioned options will surely help you out.
1. QuietWalk Plus QW100Plus Underlayment
The first one is a Quitewalk Plus underlayment that is ideal to be used with glue-down flooring, laminate, nail down, and engineered flooring.
- Moisture Resistant: This underlayment setup will protect your floor from dampness as it is a purely moisture-resistant product.
- Easy to Install: The installation process of this underlayment is extremely easy. Any beginner DIY can handle it without complicated tools.
It gives you complete protection against moisture, so you can apply the flooring in high foot traffic and wet areas as well.
Moreover, it doesn’t require any complicated process to install. Like vinyl flooring, it can also be installed at home easily. It contains recycled fiber that absorbs sound so that you can walk on the floors with comfort.
The material used in the underlayment has been certified clean and doesn’t contain harmful components. You won’t find any petrochemical smell, so it is completely secure for your little kid as well.
As far as thickness level is concerned, it is not too thick nor too thin. It won’t make cracks if you mistakenly drop any installation tool. With a utility knife, you can easily cut the planks according to the measurements.
The size of this underlayment roll is 3′ x 33.4′ while it contains felt material. Hence, if you have been looking for the best underlayment for your newly purchased vinyl floors, go ahead; you won’t regret it.
- It is made of high-quality material.
- The underlayment protects the floor from damage and reduces noise.
- No harmful chemicals are present in the product.
- It absorbs moisture, so it can be installed anywhere.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty.
- You might find your hands greasy while installing.
2. Wood Fiber Flooring Underlayment
Let’s get straight to the second product, which is also an excellent option for your vinyl floor’s underlayment.
This product has been tested by the US and has cleared all the tests, so you can always consider it to get the best results. With common tools, you can easily install this material without anyone’s guidance.
It is a high-quality sound control underlayment that provides you with complete comfort and absorbs noise to the fullest.
Now forget about the moisture as this wood fiber flooring underlayment prevents the floor from moisture and lets you install the flooring anywhere you want.
In Europe, it’s pretty popular both in residential and commercial areas. It holds the maximum pressure so the floor won’t be squeaked. Apart from floors, you can install the planks on walls.
Using 2 or a maximum of 3 layers is enough to get the high-quality noise absorption feature. It is a multi-purpose product, so it is not limited to being used under vinyl floors. You can also apply them under carpets.
The size and weight of each dimension are also ideal. Furthermore, you can easily cut the planks according to the accurate size with the available tools.
The underlayment contains wood fiber material and can be installed with a nail-down and floating method.
Hence, it is another excellent product that I would highly recommend to those who want the best sound absorption underlayment.
- It is a durable product with a maximum thickness level.
- The product control noise to the fullest and let you feel comfortable.
- You can easily install them by following any method.
- It is easy to cut the planks inaccurate sizes.
- No con has been found yet.
3. FloorLot Shop Black Vinyl Underlayment
Here comes another product that is as efficient as the previous ones. To get the best sound reduction underlayment here is the best choice that you can make.
- Floating Installation: You can easily handle the floating installation method without pasting or gluing it with the subfloor.
- Attractive Look: The material of these underlayment planks give you a shiny black look. It can make a great contrast with any floor type.
It is surely a durable product that protects the floor from moisture. The thickness level is also considerable, while the installation method is also straightforward.
Moreover, it covers 200 square feet, while you can use a floating installation method that is simple to follow. It is available in LVT black color, and it works well if you attach it over the same material.
The packaging you receive is also of excellent quality while cutting the planks in accurate sizes is also simple. Hence, it is an excellent brand from which you get your hands on the best underlayment for vinyl flooring.
- It comes in great packaging.
- They are straightforward to work with.
- The installation method is simple.
- It comes in perfect width and length.
- It is easily torn if you mistakenly drop any tool while installing.
4. FloorMuffler LVT/LVP Ultra Seal Underlayment
If you are looking for an underlayment that gives complete moisture control, here is the best recommendation for you.
- Bathroom Fixtures: These underlayment planks are recommended for high moisture places in your home. The ultra seal feature discourages the humidity from growing up.
- Prevent Scratches: If you are a pet lover or worried about the scratches on your floor, you should consider this underlayment.
If you have vinyl flooring in the bathroom for which you want moisture-control underlayment, you can consider this product.
It is highly durable and has an accurate thickness level as well. It is available in natural color and has a thickness of 1 millimeter. Moreover, it covers 200 SF and contains W35″ x L68.58′ x 1mm size.
Amazingly, you can also use this product under low-pile berber carpets apart from floors. It prevents your carpets from damage and pet scratches.
To get comfort feeling under your foot, FloorMuffler is an excellent addition to your house. The installation method is also straightforward; you can efficiently perform it at home. So, what else do you want?
- It is durable and protects the floor from damage.
- It is the best moisture-control underlayment.
- This product gives a relaxing feeling under the foot.
- It is easy to install and cut into equal sizes.
- Many people have complained about the thickness level.
5. 3 in 1 Vinyl Flooring Underlayment
The main reason for listing this product here is its affordable price. If you want high-quality yet affordable underlayment for your vinyl floors, here is a great option.
- Extra Cushioning: You will get extra cushioning with this thicker underlayment. It will give you comfortable feelings while walking on it.
- Budget-Friendly Option: This underlayment is relatively inexpensive than many other popular products. You can consider it for ignoring floor places.
However, it is thin, so you should be extra cautious while installing because any tool fall on the underlayment can result in damage.
Fast shipping is another great feature that people have admired about this product. Once you order this product, you will receive it in no time in great packaging.
You can also apply this underlayment under floating floors as it does a great job there as well. You also won’t complain about the sound issue as it completely absorbs noise and let you feel comfortable.
It has a thickness level of 1mm and is a great cushion for different types of floors. Hence, if you have a limited budget but can’t compromise the quality, try this out, and you won’t be disappointed.
- It is relatively cheap than other floor underlayments.
- It holds sound absorption, moisture-free, and cushion features.
- You can install it under different types of floors.
- It is durable and has fast shipping.
- You should be careful while installing because of the thin underlayment.
6. Produra 3-in-1 Thermal/Acoustics Plus Foam
This shiny silver underlayment is another great product that you can try for considerable installation.
- Self-Adhesive: The self-adhesive nature of these planks will make your installation process easy. You never feel any burden of purchasing extra gadgets with it.
- Versatile Product: The foaming material of this underlayment will give you the luxury to install it at any place in your home.
The foam material used in the underlayment protects your floor from damage, moisture, water, and heat and gives protection from everywhere. You can consider it applying to numerous places according to your requirement.
The best thing about this product is that it has a thickness level and won’t damage with a little burden. Hence, you can comfortably install them without worrying about anything.
To fully overcome the noise, this product is worth applying. Moreover, it is available at an affordable rate, so it is within everyone’s range.
You can use the self-adhesive method to install them. The size is 40″ long and 8″ in diameter per roll.
- It has a great thickness level.
- The product is durable and available at an affordable rate.
- The installation method is simple.
- It protects the floor from moisture and cracks.
- It is not ideal for peel and stick vinyl flooring.
7. Quietwalk Luxury Vinyl Underlayment
The next product is from the Quietwalk brand and surely contains all the features one needs for utmost results.
- Robust Material: You can protect your floors from water, cracks, or any other damage with this underlayment's high-quality recycled material.
- Thickness Level: The thickness of this underlayment is maximum and can be considered with any flooring option.
This environment-friendly underlayment is all that you need to protect your floors from damage, cracks, water, heat, etc.
It is also the best noise reduction underlayment that you surely require. As it is moisture resistant so you can use it anywhere you want be it in a laundry room, kitchen or bathroom.
It is made of recycled material so you can’t doubt its quality. It holds the pressure and lets you fully breathe without any issue. The installation method is also simple and can be performed at home.
- It is made of high-quality recycled material.
- It reduces noise and gives a great cushion to the floor.
- The product is available at an affordable rate.
- It has a maximum thickness level.
- It has a limited warranty.
8. Vapor Barrier Flooring Underlayment
It is the best option for cement and wood subfloors. Apart from vinyl floors, you can consider them for floating floors and laminate floors as well.
- Rigid Setup: You will get a strong subfloor setup with the Vapor Barrier underlayment. It can last for many years and protect your vinyl flooring tiles.
- Softer Feelings: This setup is extremely comfortable to walk on. The softer nature of these tiles saves your feet from tiredness.
It has a 2mm thickness level that is enough to make your subflooring strong and rigid. It completely saves your floors from cracks, scratches, heat, water, and whatnot.
If you plan to use it under a concrete floor you need an extra plastic sheet so better skip this idea. Moreover, it is not ideal for carpets as well.
It has also an affordable place so if want a cheap product, you can surely try this out. It fully protects your floor from moisture and also reduces the noise.
I would highly recommend using this underlayment if you have been looking for one. It is durable and won’t be easily cracked. The installation also doesn’t require any complicated tasks.
- It is a great product that you can try under different flooring.
- The underlayment is affordable and durable as well.
- It prevents the floor from cracks and scratches.
- It provides you with a soft feel.
- It is not ideal for concrete floors and walls.
9. Steico Flooring Underlayment for Vinyl
Vinyl floors undoubtedly enhance the room’s beauty but this type of underlayment enhance comfort as well. The high-quality sound control feature of this product enhances its worth and makes it worth considering.
- Great for the Environment: This underlayment is completely safe for everyone as it is made with environmentally friendly material so that you can consider it for your living rooms.
- Perfect Levels: The thickness and level of these tiles are perfectly crafted so that they can adjust with any type of flooring option.
It has been tested by the US and has cleared all the tests. It is completely safe for children and pets as well as the material used in the underlayment is not made of harmful chemicals.
So, you can consider this product without giving it a second thought. You can fully breathe in the room and can easily install with all the available tools at home. Apart from the floors, you can also use them under the carpets.
It has a 6mm 1/4 inch size and is available in green color. moreover, you can easily cut the width and length of each plank with a utility knife available at home. Hence, it is another great product that you can consider.
- For better finishing of the floor, it is worth considering.
- It perfectly levels the floor for easy installation.
- It is easy to use and works perfectly.
- Moreover, it completely protects the floor from damage.
- It generates a huge quantity of dirt.
10. Roberts Black Jack Premium 2-in-1 Underlayment
This one from the Roberts brand is another effective product to make the perfect finishing of your vinyl floors.
- Attractive Finish: The final appearance of your floor will be stunning with the Roberts Black underlayment. It will give you a perfect finish with most of the flooring choices.
- Protect the Rugs: This underlayment can be opted to place under your lovely carpets. It will make the rugs softer and build a great playing area for your kids.
Whatever feature you want in your subfloor underlayment can be easily found in this new product. From being the best sound reduction underlayment to fully protecting them from moisture, it has everything.
You can use it under engineered wood and laminate flooring and can also be placed under the carpet. You can use an adhesive strip or plastic overlap for easy installation.
Both have easy methods to follow and can be done at home in no time. Moreover, the material used is of high quality without the use of harmful components.
Now don’t worry about the moisture, heat, and water as your floors are fully safe due to this amazing underlayment. It is available in black color and has 100 sq. ft. in size. Go for the product and enjoy its amazing features.
- You can use this product over radiant heat floors.
- It prevents the floors from getting damaged.
- It has 2.5 millimeters thickness which is enough.
- You can easily manage and cut the underlayment.
- You can not use this product under the vinyl wood plank.
11. Steico Wood Fiber Flooring Underlayment
To increase your comfort level and to get the best possible features in an underlayment, you can consider this product for your vinyl floors.
- Easy Cleaning: It is quite easy to maintain this underlayment with your floor for longer. The cleaning process of these tiles is very simple.
- Less Noisy: Another impressive feature of the Steico underlayment is its control over the sound. You will never feel any noise while walking on this flooring setup
It keeps the environment friendly and clean and is completely safe for your children and pets. You can place them under your vinyl floor to get the best possible results.
You can also consider different installation methods for quick and easy work. Moreover, it is also moisture-resistant and gives full relief against it. The natural material used in the underlayment is ideal in every sense.
- With 2 or 3 layers, you can complete a smooth installation.
- It is flexible and protects the floor against odd events.
- It has amazing sound control properties.
- You can easily cut the size of each plank.
- Easy to work with.
- It is more expensive than other subfloor underlayments.
12. FloorLot Shop Underlayment
Here comes the last product that has been listed after deep analysis and proper research. It covers 200 sqft. per roll and the 3mm thickness level makes it worth considering.
- Thickness Level: These planks are 3 mm in width, providing enough thickness for a comfortable underlayment setup.
- Easy Installation: The peel and stick installation format of FloorLot Shop underlayment is quite simple; anyone can handle it without any specialized tools.
Now, install the subfloor underlayment without worrying about the scratches and cracks and they are completely safe and secure.
It goes well with engineered floating floors and laminate floors. Moreover, do not worry about the sound as it completely absorbs noise and gives you full comfort and relief.
You can easily install them by using the peel & stick tape method. Don’t think for a second and go ahead with this product.
- The 3-millimeter thickness level makes it ideal to use.
- It provides you with moisture and vapor barrier.
- The installation can be done with a simple peel and stick method.
- It has an exceptional price.
- No con has been found.
Final Check Marks Before Buying Underlayment
If you are still confused that what type of underlayment is suitable for your subfloor or what factors should be taken into consideration in this regard, let me solve this confusion.
Here are a few essential points that you should always keep in mind.
Before choosing any particular underlayment, ensure your sub-floor type.
For instance, if you have a concrete subfloor then the best underlayment for vinyl flooring on concrete should be a vapor barrier so that it protects the floor from moisture.
Similarly, the best underlayment for laminate flooring is foam and cork material. When you’re fully aware of the subfloor type, it will be easy for you to make a selection. It is the first step that you should always consider.
Compatibility is the major element. Ensure that the underlayment you have purchased must be compatible with the subfloor.
Usually, vinyl floors contain a click-and-lock design so you should go for an underlayment that gives enough support to places where the planks will be locked.
If it has a glue-down design then you want an underlayment that completely protects the floor from moisture. Be concerned about these little details because they make a big difference.
The thickness of each plank is one of the major features that you should never take for granted. If the thickness level is accurate you can safely complete the installation without worrying about damage.
However, if the plank is too thin, it can be cracked with a single drop of a tool.
Always buy an underlayment that reduces the noise and lets you feel comfortable while walking on the floor. It is important for upper-story apartments where you often face this noise issue.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s talk about a few questions that have been asked frequently by people. Here we go.
What Underlayment Is Used for Vinyl Flooring?
Plywood is the most commonly used underlayment that has all the properties to make the floor durable and stable. Installing vinyl plank flooring over plywood is always the best option.
Is Underlay Necessary for Vinyl Flooring?
It is not important in every case. For instance, if the floor or a surface where you want to install the vinyl floor is smooth, you do not need any underlayment. In other cases, it is important.
How Thick Should Underlayment Be for Vinyl Flooring?
The thickness level from 1mm to 1.5mm is accurate. It can be above this point but it should never be below this.
Can You Use 2 Layers of Underlay Under Vinyl Flooring?
It is better to use a single layer because using 2 layers can make the floor too thin and unstable. However, in some cases, you need to place 2 layers.
Can You Use Carpet Underlay for Vinyl Flooring?
It is better to avoid it because using carpets underlay reaches a 10mm thickness level that is huge.
You will find vinyl floors in every home so everyone should be aware of the type of underlayment it requires to make the floor stable and durable.
In this article, we gave the list of the top 12 best underlayments for vinyl flooring that will surely help you make the choice.
I have also explained the important points needed to buy the underlayment. I hope this article will help you in the future when you need to buy the underlayment for your vinyl floors.
Take notes and follow the guidelines for the best results.