If you want to upgrade your home garage and are confused about how to protect it from oil spills, hot tires, and cracks, here is an ultimate guide to help you choose the best garage floor paints.
You can give a newer look to your garage floor with a fresh paint coat, but this type of flooring paint is extremely difficult to find from a massive list of its categories and construction forms.
Our expert team will guide you here and provide detailed information on garage floor paint forms, their appearance, and compounds that will support you in choosing the top-rated garage floor paint from our list.
Table of Contents
Our Top Picks
Types of Garage Floor Paint
Many people use different flooring paints to improve the garage’s overall look. While the most common types of paint include;
Before choosing the amount of paint that can be used, the main part here is to look for the reason behind updating the floor. If you’re painting the garage floor for just a new look, you will require less quantity, and on the other hand,
if you’re converting the garage floor into another room, you will need a bit more paint and a different option than the usual. Conversion takes more time than just painting your garage for a newer look.
Further, we will look deep into the details of types of garage flooring.
Acrylic Garage Floor Paint
Acrylic garage paint is much in a higher quantity as compared to the latex paint resins. These floors are much more flexible and more suitable in garages with less climate control. The acrylic garage paints are less likely to get cracks and damage than the other latex paints.
The cost of these paints is usually higher than the other paint options, but the good point here is that acrylic paints are much more durable and can be used for much longer periods. While another great feature that comes with these paints is that they fade less when exposed to the sunlight.
Latex Garage Floor Paint
latex garage floor paint is a pure water-based product. It contains some acrylic resin, although not as much as acrylic paint itself. The cost of these paints is generally less than both acrylic and epoxy paints. The important feature of these paints is that it dries out pretty quickly.
Because of the lesser price of this paint, they are not durable for longer-term usage, but they are still a good option if you want to change the look of the garage into a new one for a shorter time.
Epoxy Garage Floor Paint
Epoxy paints are sold in buckets of 2 parts. One part consists of epoxy resins, while the other consists of hardener polymer, which must be mixed before applying.
These paints come in both the water-based solvent and the epoxy-based solvent. The difference between both of these solvents is the maintenance, application, cost, and overall textured look.
You can see many of the paints being labeled with one-part epoxy. This means that it could be either acrylic or latex with a small amount of epoxy resin.
However, the true and pure epoxy paint will be hundred percent epoxy without any other mixture.
Consider this Before Buying
All garage floor paints are not created equal, and all are not made for the same use. Some are acrylic paint, while others are latex paint. Garage floor coverings are made of protective floor coverings. Some paints are one-part epoxy acrylic, these are acrylic mixed with epoxy.
Consider the following guidelines and move directly towards the right garage floor paint. Some types of garage floor paints are more expensive than others.
Furthermore, different options of floor paint will develop different outcomes. Some products perform better than others, depending on the garage floor ideas.
Floor Condition and Material
Only paint is not enough to fix the damaged garage floor surface. For excellent results, clean all the dust and dirt, fill up the cracks, and remove spots, before painting. If you want the paint to stick well on the concrete surface, first dry it well.
Use a colored asphalt sealer in place of a paint product for the asphalt garage floor. There are oils in the asphalt that will keep regular paint from sticking, and it could peel off shortly.
You must use latex paint for the garage floor because it is inexpensive. The cost is reasonable per square foot of coverage for latex and acrylic paint. Epoxy paints are costly as compared to these floor paints.
Read the instructions carefully and see whether the garage floor paints recommend one or two coats. A gallon of one-coat floor paint could save money. If a separate epoxy primer coat is required, consider this cost.
After application, both acrylic and latex paints provide less sticky instability than epoxy garage floor paint—moreover, both dry into a less smooth and lower shiny finish.
If you like shiny finish, you can use garage floor paint because it has a variety of colors. At the same time, epoxy floor paint comes in a short variety of colors.
You can change the color of epoxy by mixing the final epoxy coating with color peelings. A color-matching computer is used to match the existing paint. For this purpose, take a chip of paint in the center. The computer will read the shade and create a color formula.
Matte floor paints are more difficult to keep clean than shiny varieties. The cracks can be covered by matte floor paint because they do not catch the light. If the painted surface is glossy, the cracks and dents will be visible.
Epoxy kits include anti-slip compounds which prevent slipping because the epoxy coating is more slip-prone. Matte garage paint is also best for most traction underfoot.
Fine silica sand is used in some acrylic and latex paints that are specially designed to increase traction. It decreases the risk of slipping when the floor is wet.
Great floor preparation is required for epoxy coatings. Power wash the floor with grease remover, etch with muriatic acid or any etching compound, and repair the damaged concrete floor with the epoxy solution.
After preparing the floor with the paint roller, apply the epoxy primer and then two coats of epoxy resin. Finish with a urethane-based topcoat.
Traditionally, a two-part epoxy coating requires thorough mixing before applying. But you must use this two-coats mixture within 30 minutes because it gets hard with time.
The application of epoxy paints is usually a DIY project. The application of latex and acrylic paint is straightforward. Power wash the concrete floor with grease remover and use a paint roller to apply coats of paint.
Acrylic or latex concrete and garage floor paint lasts 1 to 2 years. True epoxy paints provide the best impact and stain resistance on any garage floor paint. Epoxy coatings are in good condition for 3 to 5 years without breaking.
Epoxy garage floor and painted concrete and garage floor allow hot-tire pickups. Asphalt contains oils and solvents that keep paint from sticking. Use colored asphalt sealer instead, it will coat the floor and improve its color.
The top floor paint options have at least two properties: a compatible finish and high reliability. The paint can break, crack, bubble or peel, so you must opt for the right floor paint before applying it.
Most garage floor paint and epoxy paint can be cleaned by dry mopping or sweeping them regularly. Mix two tablespoons of dish soap in a gallon of warm water for deeper cleaning and apply with a foam mop.
Soap can cloud the shiny finish of the epoxy floor as well. Use soap-free and acid-free cleaning solutions to clean every type of paint on the garage floor.
Use garage floor mats made of rubber to keep the dirt off the car and black tire marks protect the acrylic or epoxy paint from scratches. Foam mats and rugs are also helpful to protect the floor paint.
Best Garage Floor Paints to Buy
The details mentioned below suggest many top-rated garage floor finishes, which stand out as our top picks. Let’s look at some floor paints below to help you choose the best garage floor paint.
1. Rust-Oleum Garage Floor Coating Kit
This garage floor coating kit offers excellent reliability. These are the toughest garage floor coatings that keep the floor safe from salt, oil stains, gas, and other severe chemicals. It is best for workshop floor, garage floor, and concrete basement floor.
It has zero volatile organic compounds (VOC) and a low smell. That’s why it is best for indoor applications. Very easy to maintain and looks great.
- Easy Painting: You can quickly finish this floor painting project because of its garage coating kit. This kit can easily cover 450-500 square feet, which is more than enough for your garage floor.
- Attractive Finish: The dark gray high gloss finish of Rust-Oleum is fantastic to watch. It will upgrade your garage to almost showroom quality with minimal effort.
Polycuramine concrete floor coatings are durable and work on the interior of garage floor surfaces, workshops floor surfaces, concrete basement floor surfaces, family rooms, and more.
A Self-leveling and Buildable formula is 20 x stronger than epoxy paint. A unique environment-friendly concrete sealer is available with it. It is almost VOC and odor-free.
You can walk on the floor after 8 to 10 hours and park your vehicles within 24 hours. Each floor paint kit covers up to 500 square feet. It features no hot tire pickup.
This coat provides a terrazzo flooring look in a high-shine finish that prevents cracking, peeling, spills of chemicals, and hot tires. Deliver a showroom quality floor in one coat that lasts for a long time.
|Size||2.5 Car Kit|
|Full Cure Time||24 Hours|
|Item Weight||9.33 Pounds|
|Product Dimensions||13.25 x 8.25 x 8.25 inches|
|Pot Life||45 minutes|
- Zero VOC and odor-free
- Easy to maintain
- Finish projects quickly
- It is long-lasting
- Inconsistent color after applying paint
2. Rust-Oleum Rocksolid Polycuramine
293513 Rocksolid floor coating protects the garage floor from the bad effects of heat and chemicals. This garage floor paint is a blend of epoxy floor coating.
Along with epoxy paint, it contains polyurea and polyurethane. These two substances add shine and strength to the garage floors. The combination of these items is 20 times stronger than epoxy alone.
- High-Class Coating: The epoxy floor coating of this garage floor paint is top quality and gives you complete protection against heat and chemicals.
- Extra Attachments: The additional attachments of this paint product of the Rust-Oleum brand make it so valuable. You will get a bonus of 2 foam rollers, decorative chips, and concrete etch without paying anything extra.
The kit is available in 1-car or 2.5-car garage sizes. 1-car garage size will cover about 250 square feet, and 2.5-car sizes will cover approximately 500 square feet. It comes in 2 special non-pollutant Pre-Tinted Polycuramine burst pouches.
There are many important accessories, such as 2 Foam Rollers, Concrete Etch, Decorative Chips, and instructions. 293513 Rocksolid floor coating is stronger than epoxy floor paint. Due to the commercial-grade polycuramine formula.
After applying this coat it cures quickly and is ready for foot traffic in 8 – 10 hours and ready to drive in 24 hours. The hard coating provides hot tire resistance and prevents the floor paint from any damage from salt, oil stains, and other harsh chemicals.
Best paint for garage floors, basements, workshops, laundry rooms, mudrooms, concrete floors, wood, or tile surfaces. Polycuramin Technology used in it:
- Attaches to concrete floors on a molecular level to form multiple bonding points.
- Provide self-leveling formula
- Bends and moves with the concrete floor to prevent cracking and peeling.
|Size||2.5 Car Kit|
|Item Weight||15.8 Pounds|
|Product Dimensions||8.38 x 13.25 x 9.38 inches|
|Pot Life||45 minutes|
- Polycuramine Formula is 20 x stronger than epoxy paint.
- VOC free solution cures quickly
- Ready to drive-on in 24 hours
- No hot tire pickups
- Requires pre-planning and time to do it right
3. Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Esh-06
This is the best garage floor paint that hardens and protects commercial concrete surfaces. Apply for excellent protection from wear, tear and crash due to heavy foot and vehicle traffic. The epoxy kit includes two-part epoxy solvent-based coating, decorative color chips, and instructions.
- Excellent Protection: This flooring paint gives you commercial-grade protection on the garage floor. It will never crash on heavy vehicles and excessive use.
- Easy to Clean: The epoxy shield of the Rust-Oleum brand is very easy to clean. If you see any debris or dirt particles, you can remove them in a single go.
A solid floor paint with solvent-based epoxy paint is best for the garage floor, basement, and workshop. The true epoxy coating provides higher protection from chemicals, breaking, and standing water. Floor paint covers up to 200 square feet per gallon.
You can walk on the floor after one day and park your vehicles after 4 days. Provide perfect fixing and durability. Protect from heavy foot and vehicle traffic.
|Paint Type||Water Color|
|Size||256 Fl Oz|
|Usage||Garage floor coating|
|Item Weight||25.7 Pounds|
|Product Dimensions||13.62 x 17.25 x 8.75 inches|
|Coverage||300-400 sq ft per epoxy kit|
- Best durability
- Easy to clean
- Bear heavy foot and vehicle traffic
- Easy to use
- Sometimes the paint can is in damaged condition
4. Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Anti Skid
This is the best garage floor paint with an Anti-skid component. It provides a hard finish like a diamond, maximum protection from wear, and creates a non-slippery surface.
- Best Finish: This flooring paint's non-slippery and hard finish give you an ideal setup to do heavy work all day.
- DIY Project: You never need to hire any professional for this task, as any DIY beginner easily handles this floor painting job.
Best garage floor paints for indoor and outdoor concrete surfaces. It provides a bare concrete grade texture that is easy to keep clean—made from the most durable and hardest additive, aluminum oxide.
Unlike a smooth surface, it creates a slip-resistant surface when used with Epoxy Shield concrete floor paints. Make a mixture by mixing one gallon of epoxy paint, latex paint, or oil-based paints.
You do not need to spend thousands on a professional to hire when you can do it yourself. It is 100% effective and easy to use. Highly durable and easy to handle for different types of garage floors.
|Paint Type||Oil Based|
|Size||3.4 Fl Oz|
|Unit Count||3.4 Ounce|
|Item Weight||3.17 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||1.63 x 5.5 x 8.75 inches|
|Item Volume||100.55 Milliliters|
- Best durability
- It creates a non-slippery surface
- It has a hard finish to prevent damage
- Easy to use
- It makes mopping more difficult
5. INSL-X Tough Shield Floor and Patio Coating
INSL-X Tough Shield Floor is excellent for patio coating paint. It comes in one gallon like other paints. Waterborne, acrylic paint is designed for a rugged, long-lasting finish.
Protects from breaking and bear detergents, oil, greases, and rubbing. It prevents water seepage and has the best wearing qualities for interior floor paint and exterior floor paint.
- Versatility: You can invest on your patio or garage floor simultaneously with one or two big gallons of this flooring paint. It allows you to use it on both interior and exterior floor coating.
- Variety of Color Options: Now this brand will make an easy choice of floor paint for you. The tile red, saddle brown, or light gray color patterns give you the luxury of matching your garage floor with its surroundings.
It is best for the surfaces like brick walls, concrete, and wood. Before painting, the cracks and breakage must be filled with acrylic sealer.
It will deal with weather issues and molding effectively. A durable satin finish designed to produce a rugged, reliable finish. It prevents the acrylic floor paint from getting damaged and breaking.
The interior and exterior coating of the porch and patio is used for light commercial and residential floor applications. It has a coverage of 350 – 450 square foot per gallon.
|Paint Type||Enamel, Acrylic|
|Item Volume||128 Fluid Ounces|
|Item Weight||12.82 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||9.47 x 9.75 x 11 inches|
- Best durability
- Resists weather and breaking of surfaces
- Can be used on pond balcony
- Easy to use
- Not recommended for garage floors or car parking areas
6. Zinsser & Co Best Waterproofing Paint
Zinsser and co 270267 is a waterproofing paint. A wide-ranging new latex formula provides a smooth and completely sealed surface.
The non-sandy waterproofing coating offers protection from mold and fungus on the garage floor paints and other paint surfaces. This protective layer can last for up to 10 years.
- High Protection: You will get high protection from the Zinsser waterproof paint. It is mold and mildew-proof flooring paint, giving you at least 10 to 15 years of protection.
- Sealed Surface: This paint's latex formula gives you a completely sealed surface, making your floor extremely easy to work on.
A bright white and non-yellowing coat can be used on all brickwork surfaces. Additionally, hold up 20 PSI water pressure. The VOC-free solution makes it cure quickly. The kit with this product is very simple and easy to use.
The best waterproofing paint is manufactured in the United States and provides a smooth coating. It can be used indoors and outdoors and on ceilings of the interior of the house to avoid seepage because it is waterproof.
|Size||128 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)|
|Item Volume||3.78 Liters|
|Item Weight||12.25 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||7 x 8 x 8 inches|
- Easy and simple to use kit
- Create a waterproof surface
- Protect against mildew and mold
- Deliver a non-sandy and flat surface
- Sometimes the lid of the can is slightly loose, and the paint is leaked
7. Giani Granite Countertop Paint Kit 2.0
Giani Granite Countertop Paint has a beautiful Bombay black color of unique black granite. It is full of dots of pearl and bronze, creating a very elegant, glossy, smooth, and glittering finish. You can add beauty to your kitchen and bathroom by using it.
- Glittering Finish: You will surely impress with this flooring paint's elegant and glossy finish. The five unique color patterns allow you to use this paint on your kitchen or bathroom flooring.
- Easy to Apply: It is extremely easy to use this paint product. You can comfortably seal the top coat surface with as many layers as possible.
Different types of surfaces, such as Formica, Laminate, Corian, Ceramic tile, Butcher block, Cultured marble, and traditional granite, can be coated with this paint in a single weekend by only 3 steps.
Giani Granite is an authentic granite finish available in 5 unique colors. The granite finish covers 35 square feet of wide countertops. A 100% Acrylic formula is used with low smell and low VOC. It is a water-based, long-lasting, shiny, and food-safe topcoat. You can enjoy its benefits for years.
There is a simple sponge on and roll on application to use, and you can change the look of your space as you want. These paints are manufactured in the USA.
|Size||128 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)|
|Item Volume||3.78 Liters|
|Item Weight||12.25 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||7 x 8 x 8 inches|
- Enhance the beauty of the area
- Provide non-yellowing topcoats
- Easy to use
- It can be used in matte color, without sparkles
- In the winter season, it becomes sandy
8. KILZ Over Armor Wood & Concrete Resurfacer
Kilz One-part epoxy acrylic garage floor paint provides advanced and waterproofing solid color coating. This paint delivers a new life to old, weathered wood or concrete floor with authentic, long-lasting, 100% acrylic paint.
- Crack Resistant: This paint will never crack or be hard to peel from any surface. You can paint your driveways or garages with this product without worrying about its wear and tear.
- Waterproof Paint: After painting it with KILZ Over Armor paint, you will get a waterproof surface. It will give you the luxury to apply it on any outdoor surface.
A solid color paint provides a textured coating to fill the cracks and hide imperfections of wood and concrete floor. Use on cracked wood or surfaces such as porches or railings and concrete surfaces like patios and sidewalks.
Kilz over Armor is designed to fill the cracks up to 1/4-inch and creates a slip-resistant finish. Clean the surface before use. Use two coats for great durability. Wait 4 – 6 hours before applying the next coat.
Seventy-two hours is required for complete care. You can apply Kilz garage floor paint with a roller or sprayer.
|Paint Type||One-Part Epoxy Acrylic|
|Coverage||75 sq. ft.|
|Size||1 Gallon (Pack of 1)|
|Item Weight||12.32 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||6.63 x 6.63 x 7.65 inches|
- Renew the surface and protect it
- Easy to apply and clean
- Protects the surface from cracking or peeling
- Beautify your home
- Not suitable for drivable surfaces such as garage floors or car-parking areas
9. Giani Wood Look Paint Kit for Front Doors
Giani wood look Paint will help you beautify your home’s entrance and paint your garage door like wood. You can transform the white or simple doors into the elegance of natural hardwoods.
Its kit is simple, and only a two-step application is required to paint in just three hours. There are all the necessary tools available in its kit.
- Great Investment: Most of the textures of this flooring paint are in wooden style. You can also apply this paint on your home doors; you will get full value for your investment.
- Easy to Use: You can implement this garage flooring paint project in just three simple steps. This paint product contains a quick-dry formula that gives you an instant finish.
The kit covers a 180 sq. ft. surface, and you can easily paint two-car garage doors. You do not need to use any primer before applying Giani Wood Look Paint.
It is best for use on painted steel or wood garage doors. The Wood Tone Base Coat will cover existing colors in one application, and a specially composed Wood Grain Finish Coat completes the wood look conversion.
|Item’s volume|| 16 Fluid Ounces|
|Size||1 Count (Pack of 2)|
|Item Weight||8.53 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||12 x 4.5 x 12 inches|
- Save your time because only a few hours are required for it
- It has a low odor and VOC free
- Simple and easy to use
- No need to apply primer before applying Wood Look Paint
- Not suitable for floors
10. Rust-Oleum Chalked Charcoal
Ultra Matte Chalked Paint provides a matte finish. Easily give a unique look with a superior feel. You can modernize your furniture and home accessories with long-lasting grace. The chalked Paint can be used on different surfaces like wood, metal, ceramic, and canvas.
- Single Coat Coverage: One coat of Rust-Oleum chalked charcoal is enough for your garage floors. It will give you a robust effect even on excessive use.
- Matte Finish: A matte chalked finish of this paint product will give a unique appearance. You will surely get a superior feel in your garage by having chalked charcoal paint.
This paint has a low odor, and the latex formula used in it provides easy clean-up with soap and water. Only 30 minutes are required to dry and cover up to 150 sq. ft. One coat is enough to complete the project. Its sticking quality is excellent and very easy to apply.
When it dries, it provides a matte velvety and smooth finish. Use sandpaper to roughen high gloss surfaces, then apply 1 – 3 coats with 30 minutes gap.
|Item Weight||2.5 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||4.25 x 4.25 x 5 inches|
- Higher-level coverage
- It is water-based and has a low odor
- Simple and easy to use
- Great for DIY projects
- For indoor use only
11. Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Topside
Provide an anti-slip finish by mixing with oil or latex paint. It is excellent for creating safe surfaces, indoor or outdoor floors, stairs, ladders, and more. For best results, Mix well into the paint until a consistent mixture is achieved, and stir often. Made to work in both fresh and saltwater.
- Oil-Based Formula: You can easily apply this flexible paint with brilliant leveling. You can make elegant designs on any surface because of its liquid nature.
- Weather Resistant: The coatings of Rust-Oleum Marine paint can survive in extreme weather conditions. Its UV protection feature also make it a durable paint option for any purpose.
The paints, primers, and additives keep maintaining your boat above and below the waterline. It finds the right solution for every surface, including bare wood, painted wood, bare metal, rusted metal, fiberglass, rails, walkways, and more. This coating will never change color or performance properties.
|Size||4 Ounce (Pack of 1)|
|Item Weight||4 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||4 x 4 x 3 inches|
|Item Volume||4 Fluid Ounces|
- Protects from Ultra-Violet Rays
- Prevents corrosion
- Keep underwater sides free of algae and parasites
- Withstands extreme weather conditions
- If not mixed with oil, an anti-slip grip will not be achieved
Frequently Asked Questions – (FAQs)
What is the Best Paint to Use on A Garage Floor?
The best paint on the garage floor is a two-part epoxy because it is durable and requires a separate mixing of hardener into epoxy resin.
Is Painting a Garage Floor a Good Idea?
Painting a garage floor is a good idea because by doing so, you can upgrade your home. The painting will protect it from damage and will make the cleaning easy.
Is It Better to Paint or Epoxy the Garage Floor?
Epoxy garage floor paint is a better choice due to its high performance. It is long-lasting and bears hot tires, oil spills, and more.
What Kind of Paint Do You Use on a Concrete Garage Floor?
Two types of paint can be used on the concrete garage floor.
- Latex acrylic paint
- Epoxy paint
Latex paint is a low-cost option, but the epoxy floor is the best if you are looking for durability.
Is It Worth Putting Epoxy on the Garage Floor?
Yes, epoxy resin protects the garage concrete floor paint from seepage, stains, oils, and cracks.
How Long Does Garage Floor Paint Last?
Acrylic or latex concrete paint lasts 1 to 2 years on different types of garage floors. Paints without epoxy are not long-lasting and require re-application.
Do I Need to Prime Before Concrete Floor Paint?
Yes, using a primer before concrete floor paint is necessary because the paint would not stick to the surface without a primer. The concrete coating must be tough on a garage floor.
What Happens if You Don’t Etch Concrete Before Epoxy?
If you do not etch concrete paint before epoxy, the smooth surface of the concrete will not stick with other materials. So, epoxy will peel and lift away, and will not be able to stick to the surface.
Is There Special Paint for Garage Floors?
Best garage floor paints are – Latex acrylic paint or epoxy garage floor paint. Both can be used as garage floor coverings.
There are many options on the market, so choosing the best garage floor paint is hard to find. All the products are explained in detail according to the features.
We researched the most in-demand garage floor paints in their corresponding categories. Acrylic, latex, epoxy all paints have different durability duration and prevent wear, tear, and stains.
If you have decided to paint your garage floor to protect it and keep it looking outstanding for years, instead of spending time and effort on the wrong garage floor paint, let us find a product that will last for a long time. Each floor paint has a unique power to protect from stains, damage, and hot tire pickup.
Finally, the garage floor paints are easy to apply with the average paint roller and dry in just a few hours.