5 Unseen Hazards That Are Lurking in Your Home

5 Unseen Hazards That Are Lurking in Your Home

If you and your family should feel safe in any place, it is your own home. However, that home may harbor unseen hazards that can impact your health and the health of those you love.


Although mold isn’t usually a problem, if left to grow in a moist environment, it can present health hazards to you and your family. In some cases, mold can cause allergic reactions in people, especially if they are already sensitive to allergens. Some things to look for that indicate you might have an unseen mold problem in your home include:

  • Hay fever symptoms
  • Runny nose
  • Watery eyes
  • Rashes
  • Sneezing

Those with asthma may be particularly at risk. Mold can be costly and difficult to clean up.


Older homes may contain asbestos. Homes built before 1990 may contain materials with asbestos. This is a problem if it becomes airborne, as the fibers can enter your lungs and cause cancer or Mesothelioma. Common materials for asbestos include:

  • Floor tiles
  • Ceiling tiles
  • Roofing shingles
  • Insulation

If you aren’t sure if a material contains asbestos, consider hiring a professional to remove it. A professional can ensure that the fibers don’t go airborne, while wearing the protective equipment necessary to complete the job safely.

Carbon Dioxide

Many household products expose us to carbon dioxide on a daily basis, but when it starts to build up in the body, this odorless gas can begin to poison you. Some symptoms of carbon dioxide poisoning include:

  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Increased heart rate
  • Rapid breathing
  • Confusion
  • Headache

If you’re worried about exposure to CO2 through common household products in addition to naturally occurring CO2, carbon dioxide can be reduced with the use of CO2 adsorbers.

Lead Paint

Exposure to lead can cause many health problems, and is particularly damaging to children. Lead is a toxic metal and can cause:

  • Brain damage
  • Organ damage
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Exhaustion
  • Tummy aches

Lead-based paint is the most common culprit for lead poisoning. The problem occurs when the paint begins to chip or flake off and the dust particles are ingested. Children are likely susceptible because they often put their hands in their mouths and may crawl around on a floor where lead dust has landed. Lead paint should be removed by a professional.


Radon is a naturally occurring gas but it is also radioactive and, in high quantities, can cause cancer. It is odorless, so it can be difficult to know if you have a high level of radon in your home. It tends to build in crawl spaces before infiltrating the rest of the home.

  • Radon has been found in every state in America.
  • Those who smoke and have radon in the home are at an extremely high risk of developing lung cancer.
  • The EPA estimates that radon is in one out of three homes.

You can easily check for radon with a testing kit. Radon is removed with specialized ventilation techniques.

Although one or more of these dangers may be lurking in your home, you can easily take steps to remedy these problems. With the help of a professional removal team, your home will be safe once again and you’ll enjoy many more years of family fun inside.


  1. We had a terrible experience with mould. When we moved into our new home we were unaware that the roof had not been waterproofed. After some heavy rainfall I noticed that black mould was seeping from the ceiling down our walls in 2 of the bedrooms. As a result, we experienced all sorts of health issue, asthma, eczema and constant colds. Had a waterproofer come out to check it an there was quite a lot of repair work require. After some torch on membrane waterproofing the issue was resolved. Would have been much cheaper to have waterproofed from the beginning. Expensive lessons learnt for next time.

  2. Thanks for sharing, this was very helpful. Safety is tantamount to a happy home.

  3. Awesome post! Thanks for the tip 🙂

  4. Thanks for sharing these, who knows what hazards lie in home improvement projects.

  5. If you have mold or mildew in your house, you need to find the source or cause. The cause needs to be addressed or your house will continue to be a breeding ground. Thanks for sharing!

  6. What a list! These are by far some of the most extreme dangers. Fortunately, Asbestos and Lead paint have been replaced in many homes. Pretty scary stuff, though.

  7. I liked your blog it is informative and everyone should have the knowledge regarding the hazards that are lurking in their homes.

  8. Thank you for offering a place where serious home owners can come and find DIY and other professionals for just about all home improvement needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scroll To Top