Today, we have a special guest whom we asked to come write about detoxing your home.
Marla Gates is the owner of http://www.organic4greenlivings.com. Marla has dealt with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) for over 20 years. She has gained much knowledge on natural healing and living green in all aspects of life. Her goal and passion is to help educate others about alternatives solutions to health issues, protecting the environment, eating and living a healthy lifestyle.
My passion is sharing how to live green, healthy and organically because I have learned firsthand what toxicity can do to your health. I have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) that changes everything in your life; from what you eat, how you live, where you go, and every product you use in your home and on your body. The world you live in no longer seems safe because your body is warning you every day to stay away from chemicals. You must think about every task you do and step you take in your daily life because chemicals and toxicity are everywhere.
MCS in Layman’s terms: your body has become overloaded with toxins and can longer tolerate chemicals. Your body is like a barrel that is filled with water and is over flowing except the water is toxicity. When you have MCS you usually have food, seasonal, and many types of allergies and sensitivities. You no longer can use scented products or can tolerate them. Your diet changes dramatically and you learn that you need to eat nothing but real food. Your social life changes because everywhere you go there are many chemical dangers. Scented products, chemical cleaners, clothing that has been chemically treated, stores that are loaded chemicals in every aisle – you would be truly amazed at how many chemicals our world contains.
To make my life livable I had to educate myself on how to detox and clean up my home, body and my environment. I would like to share with you some of these simple but extremely important changes you too can and should make In our life to help you and your family have a healthier future.
Important Steps to Improve Your Health:
- Only eat real foods. Absolutely no processed foods. One great idea to avoid processed foods and save yourself money is start growing some of your own foods. If that not possible buy local and/or organic produce. Help your local economy while you improve your health. Make as many foods from scratch and make sure you read labels very carefully. If in doubt of any ingredients don’t buy it.
- Be Chemical Free – No chemical pesticides or herbicides in your garden, lawn, or around your house. Make your own compost for fertilizer; use DIY bug control – of one of my favorite safe products for natural safe bug control is Diatomaceous Earth. You can buy on-line, at many local nurseries, or local stores. For home pest control there are many DIY safe and natural ways to control bugs in your home – just do a little research.
- Clean up your cleaning. Cleaning products are a real danger to our health. Conventional cleaning products are loading with toxins that pollute our bodies and our environment. Whether it is laundry detergent, or scrubbing your floor there are many green and organic cleaning products. I choose to make my own (DIY) and use simple ingredients such as peroxide, baking soda, vinegar, lemons, orange peels and essential oils that I guarantee will leave your home cleaner and fresher than ever before.
*****You can even make your own air freshener with a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I prefer peppermint), baking soda and recycled small glass jar. Put baking soda in the jar that you have punched numerous holes in the lid and add enough essential oils to moisten the baking soda. It’s so inexpensive and the wonderful fresh odor last for months.
- Be Personally Safe – Personal care products are another real and present danger that is lurking everywhere – hair sprays and gels, shampoos, deodorants, toothpaste, perfumes that are in many products, soaps, make up, and so much more. The average person applies or uses over 180 chemicals daily on their body from their personal care products. Uhg! These chemicals are destroying our health.****There are many good high quality products that you can buy that are safe and free of chemicals or try DIY recipes that work great. Baking soda, coconut oil, raw honey, bentonite clay is a few of my favorite personal care ingredients for making DIY face masks, deodorants, and toothpaste.
- Cleanse Your Home – Carpeting is filled with many toxic chemicals that off gases and can cause neurologic affects, respiratory problems and it collects thousands of dust mites that can be a gigantic problem for allergies. But there are many beautiful and safe, less toxic choices today such as cork board, bamboo flooring, and more. I have a laminating floor that contains no glue or toxins which look wonderful and is so easy to clean with a damp mop.
Check your home for mold and moisture. Mold can cause potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins) that have linked to many health problems. For more details on this check out the EPA mold guide.
- Paint and Redecorate Safely – Paint contains VOC (volatile organic compounds), a class of chemicals that evaporate readily at room temperature into the air and then these toxic paint fumes are inhaled. They have been linked to cancer, asthma and to someone with MCS can be deadly. Fortunately, there are many safe options available with low or no VOC paints and stains that are non-toxic. When we paint we always make sure we use this safe option.
When you purchase any product whether it is food, personal care items, cleaners, or furnishing for your home please make sure you read labels very carefully, check ingredients and do a little research on the reputation of the manufacturer. Take control of your environment and a live a green, organic, and healthy lifestyle to ensure a safer and healthier world for you and your family. What we do today will decide what our children will have to live with tomorrow. Don’t they deserve the best chance at a promising and healthy world to live in?